Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 It's not a photo! Believe it or not 
    It's not a photo! Believe it or not, this is actually the most amazingly realistic PAINTING

By Richard Hartley-parkinson

Artist Denis Peterson leaves onlookers impressed with his real life scenes showing cities around the world - but gobsmacked when they realise every inch of these pictures are painted.

At first glance some of his works look like a simple billboard over a busy urban setting. But on closer inspection the hidden secret is revealed - even the tiny people and obscure reflections on background windows have been conjured up by his brushstrokes.

The paintings look like photos but far from being captured in a fraction of a second, Denis' paintings take a month to complete and fetch up to £30,000 each. The 64-year-old, from New York, starts with a small photo which he then blows up 1-2000 times to capture every brick, facial expression and leaf in minute detail.

He was one of the first 'photorealists' to emerge in New York in the 1960s and early 1970s and is widely acknowledged as the founder of 'hyper-realism'.

On his website he says: 'As meaningful visual statements, my paintings go through a transformational painting process. 'The illusion of an alternate reality is secondary, a means to an end. My goal is to create timeless compositions that mesmerise the viewer and evoke a core response.'

His most recent work involves street scenes with people being 'weighed down' by advertising billboards, like the ones showing New York.

Some of his earlier work looked at the suffering felt by people imposed by governments and societies raising moral and political questions about military regimes.

His pieces are displayed at galleries and museums in New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Virginia, Utah, California, UK, Italy, Corsica, Switzerland, and France.

'Grain of Sand': The pieces of work are to go on display at galleries around the world
    More paintings at the link.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz19YvHgwar

Now that is art.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Now that is art.
    It's amazing. :eek:

Wow. Very impressive indeed.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

This is the one that just amazes me.
    It's so sharp and clear it looks like it was taken with a high quality digital camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's amazing. :eek:
    yup - and despite the bleakness of the content - there is a true aesthetic to the piece. It does not offend the senses. It appeals to them even as it plucks at the heart.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    yup - and despite the bleakness of the content - there is a true aesthetic to the piece. It does not offend the senses. It appeals to them even as it plucks at the heart.
    That is Bobolinks house!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post

This is the one that just amazes me.
    It's so sharp and clear it looks like it was taken with a high quality digital camera.
    The image that became the painting was originally captured with a high quality digital camera, and likely projected on the surface being transformed into a painting.

Ok what am I missing here? looks like a picture of garbage

Different painter(s), but this one always amazes me.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)