Thread: Is The Presidency Above Obama's Mental Pay Grade?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Is The Presidency Above Obama's Mental Pay Grade? 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Is The Presidency Above Obama's Mental/Pay Grade?

It's interesting to hear the euphemisms bandied about in campaigns.

After Barack Obama's and John McCain's appearance a week ago at Saddleback Church, for instance, the former's ardent supporters were as effusive in their praise as ever.

His stammering and copious "uhs" weren't signs of a befuddled and muddled mind, but of "thoughtfulness" and "nuanced" thinking.

Yeah, sure, and when President Bush occasionally invents a new word, we can chalk it up to creativity.

The truth is that, sans teleprompter and prepared speech and contrary to myth, Obama is at best a mediocre speaker.

(If you say that we're electing a president and not a professional orator, fair enough. But given that Bush's wanting speaking skills have made him the butt of jokes and have been used to paint him as an idiot, I think it bears mention.)

Yet neither this nor "thoughtfulness" explains his fumbling tongue. After all, politicians are people who are supposed to live and breathe issues and policy, so there should be few things they haven't been asked about or at least pondered before.

Thus, they should have oft-rendered, memorized, standard responses at the ready. For sure, John McCain did, despite his supposed status as a septuagenarian with senior moments. And if politicians don't have them - neither sublime answers nor slick dodges - what does it tell us? Well, perhaps it means they haven't put much thought into things at all. For if a person makes it a practice to think deeply about issues, he doesn't have to think about them on stage. It's the difference between preparation and improvisation. snip

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/...ve_obamas.html

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Is The Presidency Above Obama's Mental/Pay Grade?

It's interesting to hear the euphemisms bandied about in campaigns.

After Barack Obama's and John McCain's appearance a week ago at Saddleback Church, for instance, the former's ardent supporters were as effusive in their praise as ever.

His stammering and copious "uhs" weren't signs of a befuddled and muddled mind, but of "thoughtfulness" and "nuanced" thinking.

Yeah, sure, and when President Bush occasionally invents a new word, we can chalk it up to creativity.

The truth is that, sans teleprompter and prepared speech and contrary to myth, Obama is at best a mediocre speaker.

(If you say that we're electing a president and not a professional orator, fair enough. But given that Bush's wanting speaking skills have made him the butt of jokes and have been used to paint him as an idiot, I think it bears mention.)

Yet neither this nor "thoughtfulness" explains his fumbling tongue. After all, politicians are people who are supposed to live and breathe issues and policy, so there should be few things they haven't been asked about or at least pondered before.

Thus, they should have oft-rendered, memorized, standard responses at the ready. For sure, John McCain did, despite his supposed status as a septuagenarian with senior moments. And if politicians don't have them - neither sublime answers nor slick dodges - what does it tell us? Well, perhaps it means they haven't put much thought into things at all. For if a person makes it a practice to think deeply about issues, he doesn't have to think about them on stage. It's the difference between preparation and improvisation. snip

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/...ve_obamas.html
    Whenever liberals assailed Bush's speaking skills, I always reminded them of the Emperor Claudius, who stammered and stuttered, but was a brilliant scholar and administrator, and who said that what a man says is more important than how he says it. When Obama's rhetoric is removed from his content, it becomes obvious that he has no content, just a bunch of empty phrases that lack any coherent program. McCain, is going to wallop him during the debates.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Excellent question and very well phrased.
    The answer is a definate - YES!!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Whenever liberals assailed Bush's speaking skills, I always reminded them of the Emperor Claudius, who stammered and stuttered, but was a brilliant scholar and administrator, and who said that what a man says is more important than how he says it. When Obama's rhetoric is removed from his content, it becomes obvious that he has no content, just a bunch of empty phrases that lack any coherent program. McCain, is going to wallop him during the debates.
    It's starting to look like this thing is running away from Obama .The Clinton base is just about in full revolt,this guy has quite a few un_ resolved issues he needs to address quickly.All in all quite a problem and he isn't even nominated yet.

Whenever liberals assailed Bush's speaking skills, I always reminded them of the Emperor Claudius, who stammered and stuttered, but was a brilliant scholar and administrator, and who said that what a man says is more important than how he says it.
    Oh Christ! If youíre referring to Tiberius Claudius Drusus and even vaguely hinting the man that resides in the White House presently compares in any way to the former leader of the Roman Empire youíve got to be fucking kidding. Itís been a great deal of time since Iíve heard something that stupid in the forum.

At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Oh Christ! If youíre referring to Tiberius Claudius Drusus and even vaguely hinting the man that resides in the White House presently compares in any way to the former leader of the Roman Empire youíve got to be fucking kidding. Itís been a great deal of time since Iíve heard something that stupid in the forum.

Uhuh, there was this post today.

There is no evidence that would convince you. Nothing. Half the Manhattan skyline could be under water within the decade and that wouldnít convince you. Arrogance is fueling the global warming ignorance and childish denial, and our great-grandchildren will hate us for it.

: ďGrow your own dope. Plant a liberal.Ē
    Ē Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Did I stutter? Shallow people are always willing to overlook substance in favor of style. For those of you who are content to regurgitate the talking points of the left, nothing the man did was right, but if you actually look at the record, he will go down as a far better president than any Democrat in my lifetime and more than one Republican.
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Uhuh, there was this post today.
    Wow, that was really stupid. I wonder who could have said such a thing. :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Did I stutter? Shallow people are always willing to overlook substance in favor of style. For those of you who are content to regurgitate the talking points of the left, nothing the man did was right, but if you actually look at the record, he will go down as a far better president than any Democrat in my lifetime and more than one Republican.
    We were comparing a former Emperor of Rome to the current president. Which is funny - because Claudius was known for his massive public works projects and GWB will forever be known as the father of the Katrina disaster. Put that in your substance pipe and smoke it.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Resident Grump
    We were comparing a former Emperor of Rome to the current president. Which is funny - because Claudius was known for his massive public works projects and GWB will forever be known as the father of the Katrina disaster.
    The Katrina disaster was caused by:

1. A hurricane

2. Piss poor planning on the part of the governor and the Mayor, and even more piss poor planning on their part NOW.

3. the fug ugly and utterly pathetic cowardice of ther police and emergency services that also beat feet and abandoned their posts.

Nagin fucked up then, he has fucked up now, if another hurricane hit TOMORROW he would still be pathetically unprepared and would be yelling for help again.

Prove me wrong, LP, show me here and now the online documents and evac procedures and planning Nagin has initiated to deal with future emergencies.

You wont find it, because it doesnt exist, and Nagin would sit and wet his panties if he gets another storm warning,

Repeat after me: all together now

Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance.

Resident Grump
    Something like this will do.

Or this

Or this

Show me the New Orleans plans.

IF they exist.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 08-26-2008 at 11:02 AM.