1. #1 Dubai water and electricity costs to rise around 15% in 2011 
    PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    By Shane McGinley
    Thursday, 9 December 2010 4:31 PM

CHARGES RAISED: DEWA is set to raise its water and electricity charges by around 15% from Jan 2011 (ITP Images)

Dubai is set to raise its water and electricity charges by around 15 percent from January 2011, the Supreme Council of Energy said on Wednesday.

The Council also announced that, due to the increase in fuel and gas prices, an additional fuel surcharge would be added to Dubai electricity bills from January 1.

The surcharge will be added to bills sent to customers by the Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) and will fluctuate in accordance with worldwide energy prices.

Residential water charges will increase from 3 to 3.5 fils per gallon for the first 6,000 gallons, from 3.5 to 4 fils per gallon for monthly consumption of 6,001 to 12,000 gallons and from 4 to 4.6 fils per gallon for usage over 12,000 gallons.

For commercial and industrial customers, water charges will increase from 3 to 3.5 fils per gallon for the first 10,000 gallons, from 3.5 to 4 fils per gallon for monthly consumption of 10,001 to 20,000 gallons and from 4 to 4.6 fils per gallon for usage over 20,000 gallons.

The electricity market will also see bills rising, with charges rising from 20 fils per kilowatt-hour (KWh) for the first 2,000 KWh. For 2,001 to 4,000 KWh, the tariff rises from 24 to 28 fils per KWh, for 4,001 to 6000 KWh usage rises from 28 to 32 fils per KWh and any usage above 6,001 KWh will rise from 33 to 38 fils per KWh.

“This move was imminent, and in talks for some time now. It is the right move on the part of the Government to rationalise the prices of water and power, both of which are in high-demand in the region, and were posing a challenge in terms of supply keeping pace with demand,” said Abhay Bhargava, industry manager – energy and power systems practice for the Middle East region at consultants Frost and Sullivan.

Earlier this year, Frost and Sullivan urged the Middle East’s electricity providers to introduce variable tariff schemes that charge consumers more for usage during peak hours in an effort to ease demand.
    http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai...11-366557.html
    "If the Bible is true why don't we have any urns or vessels that like say expires 6/15/300 BC on the bottom?"
    Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

artificial habitable art-islands, massive indoor snow-covered mountains in the middle of the desert, not to mention this thing:

i think they're gonna be alright there
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    artificial habitable art-islands, massive indoor snow-covered mountains in the middle of the desert, not to mention this thing:

i think they're gonna be alright there
    Not if people don't come to play, they won't.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to laugh, if I were you. This is the Export Land model becoming fact.

Dubai is out of oil. That means that they must charge more for their own citizens.

Johnny Arab wants to go wadi-bashing in his SUV. Johnny Arab's oil producing country hit peak production three years ago, and at the same time Johnny Arab's countrymen started demanding refined petroleum products (especially gasoline) ... big coincidence, why would that happen ...

Johnny Arab will have to pay more dirhams to fill his SUV, soon enough. I dare say he will not like that.

What would you do if you were Johnny Arab's gov't? If I was in charge, I would keep as much of the national wealth in our own refineries, for our own people. Hey, I'd best keep Johnny Arab happy ... after all, there's no saying what he might do if I don't.

If you think you can produce more light-sweet crude than Johnny Arab, then you can laugh.
    Last edited by hampshirebrit; 01-03-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    We have the oil, we are just to stupid to produce it!
    "If the Bible is true why don't we have any urns or vessels that like say expires 6/15/300 BC on the bottom?"
    Alexandria Ocasio Cortez