Thread: 2006: Obama Against Raising Debt Ceiling

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 58
  1. #21  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Clinton employed an accounting trick
    Clinton did what every other president does , and in the end had money left , you can stop acting like he did something special.

    .
    And, let us remember Clinton's spending was restrained by congress..
    The spending was restrained by the deficit reduction plan that was passed by the senate with NO GOP VOTES.

    You are right about the spending being restrained by congress , but the deficit was being reduced well before the GOP took power , they had very little to do with it , in fact they stood in the way of the bill to reduce the deficit.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanicus View Post
    Welcome to the USA , this is how we operate , why are you NOW complaining about it ?

    Bush raided SS every year and used it in the general fund , every President does.

    And if there is STILL money left over , we call it a surplus.

    Under Clinton , there was money left over , when the rest of the presidents did the same thing , there was no money left over.

    HINT: "money left over" means surplus
    Not if the Social Security Trust Fund is left with IOU's. This is called robbing Peter to pay Paul. Factor in those trillions that politicians (both R & D) over the last 40 plus years have robbed and pillaged from that fund and there is no SURPLUS. Like another writer stated; it is all smoke and mirrors. Hint, there is no money left over if you factor in liablilites (SS Trust fund & Government Pensions)

    Have you ever taken a college course in governmental accounting? If you did, you would know that the government does not follow GAAP (General Accepted Accounting Principles). Any business owner that followed governmental accounting would be fined/ prosecuted. Off budget items are not allowed in the private sector.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 01-05-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Not if the Social Security Trust Fund is left with IOU's. This is called robbing Peter to pay Paul. Factor in those trillions that politicians (both R & D) over the last 40 plus years have robbed and pillaged from that fund and there is no SURPLUS. Like another writer stated; it is all smoke and mirrors.

    Have you ever taken a college course in governmental accounting? If you did, you would know that the government does not follow GAAP (General Accepted Accounting Principles). Any business owner that followed governmental accounting would be fined/ prosecuted. Off budget items are not allowed in the private sector.
    The FACT still remains , Clinton did what every other President did , and instead of running a deficit , he had money left over.

    The above sentence is A FACT , no matter how much you hate Clinton , the fact still remains.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanicus View Post
    The FACT still remains , Clinton did what every other President did , and instead of running a deficit , he had money left over.

    The above sentence is A FACT , no matter how much you hate Clinton , the fact still remains.
    He did? can you show a picture of the money he had left over? Can you provide us with any proof of this money that was 'left over?'
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    He did? can you show a picture of the money he had left over?'
    So , If I can't provide a picture of the money , then it never existsed.

    Take a bow. Thats a pretty deep thought , i'm gonna read and re-read your post and let it soak in for a minute.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Super Moderator Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanicus View Post
    The FACT still remains , Clinton did what every other President did , and instead of running a deficit , he had money left over.

    The above sentence is A FACT , no matter how much you hate Clinton , the fact still remains.

    If what you say is accurate, why did the DEBT go up every year???
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanicus View Post
    The FACT still remains , Clinton did what every other President did , and instead of running a deficit , he had money left over.

    The above sentence is A FACT , no matter how much you hate Clinton , the fact still remains.
    But Clinton had one thing that most other presidents lacked, which was a Republican congress.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    But Clinton had one thing that most other presidents lacked, which was a Republican congress.
    Not when the deficit reduction plan was passed by the senate with NO GOP votes.

    The deficit was being reduced before the GOP congress.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    If what you say is accurate, why did the DEBT go up every year???
    At least read the thread you are posting in , the answer was posted in advance BY ME so we could avoid the same old GOP spin just put forth by YOU.

    You probably won't understand how some debt can be paid off while the balance increases.

    Imagine a credit card you only pay the min. on ...You DID pay off some debt , but not enough to reduce the overall balance.

    Same thing idiot , welcome to the USA.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanicus View Post
    Not when the deficit reduction plan was passed by the senate with NO GOP votes.

    The deficit was being reduced before the GOP congress.
    It was reduced because Clinton and the Democrats cut Defense and because the Resolution Trust Corporation had ceased operations. The RTC spent $394 Billion from 1989 through 1995, but less than $ 7Billion of that was after 1993. In fact, the 1993 budget, Bush 41's last, showed a deficit reduction of$45 Billion over the 1992 budget, a year before the so-called Deficit Reduction Plan was went into effect (the 1993 plan was for FY 94).

    The "deficit reduction plan" was a tax hike that accomplished nothing. Although revenues rose 139.37% in the six years after the tax hike (a paltry amount, when compared with the 160.42% increase after the Reagan tax cuts), federal expenditures only rose 114.64% after the Republicans took control of congress. Compare that with the previous Democratic congress' increase in spending during the Reagan years of153.37%. A double digit variance between the rate of revenue taken in and the rate at which it was spent was not thanks to Clinton, but to congress.

    Again, do the research and the math.

    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •