Hybrid View

1. #1 My Tzatziki Recipe 
    This is one of the few things I can make without a recipe. You see it mainly at Greek and Indian restaurants, but I think it's international. The Greeks call it Tzatziki, the Indians call it Raita, and the Bulgarians call it Snezhanka. This is my best stab at it.

You will need:

- 32 oz Dannon All Natural Plain Yogurt. (Don't get the Lo/No Fat stuff; it's yuck. Any thick yogurt will do, just don't use anything runny like Activia.)

- 2 or 3 cucumbers. (If you use the big seedless cukes, 2 is okay. Use 2.5 to 3 regular cukes, seeded. This works out to about 2 cups of grated cucumber.)

- 1/8 tsp salt. (That's how much I use, you can just do it to taste.)

- A biggish clove of garlic, minced.

- 1/4 tsp lemon juice.

- 1/4 tsp olive oil.

- Optional: Chopped walnuts and dill.

1. First thing to do is to strain the yogurt. If you get a nice thick yogurt, you can do it with a regular wire colander. Anything soupy like Activia, you have to use cheesecloth. This is going to have to sit in the fridge overnight, or around 8 hours.

2. If you get seedless cukes, just peel them and grate them. With regular cukes, I suggest cutting them in half, peeling them, using a skinny kitchen knife to drill the seeds out, then grating them. I strain these overnight as well, but putting it in a colander and gently pushing down with a paper towel works too.

3. After the yogurt and cukes are strained, you mix them together, then throw in the salt, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. I suggest leaving this in the fridge for around another hour to let the seasonings seep out a bit.

4. Once it's ready, you can throw in the walnuts and dill if you want. I don't let either one sit because it can mess up the taste of the nuts, and it's pretty easy to go overboard with the dill. This goes well as a dip for bread or vegetables. I also put it on sandwiches when I really want mayonnaise.

I shall now take a page out of the Patriot45 handbook, and post food pictures.

This is my yogurt-straining apparatus. I have a lid to cover it with before refrigerating. Again, you need a thick yogurt, or it will run through the strainer like water.

I got regular cukes with seeds, so this is how they look after I peel them, cut them, and seed them.

The cukes, after grating, on their way to their sleepover in the fridge.

Few dollops of the finished product with a bit of dill. It's not very appetizing-looking by itself, but I think its pretty tasty and not terrible for you.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

I had this at a great Mediterranean restaurant in Baltimore this summer. I absolutely loved it! Thanks for posting the recipe. I may actually attempt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I had this at a great Mediterranean restaurant in Baltimore this summer. I absolutely loved it! Thanks for posting the recipe. I may actually attempt it.
    Mine will be a poor substitute for the authentic stuff, but I hope you find it palatable if you try it. :) Be sure to send me any tweaks you can think of. :)
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Mine will be a poor substitute for the authentic stuff, but I hope you find it palatable if you try it. :) Be sure to send me any tweaks you can think of. :)
    Killer pics! I enjoy tzatziki sauce on the fresh gyros they make in Tarpon Springs down here.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Nicely done Troll.

Thanks! I love this stuff and was looking for a good recipe.