Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1 What are the flaws in your own ideology? 
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    This is a pretty tough thing for many people to think about. Many people believe that whatever they believe is right (otherwise they wouldn't believe it). However, some people take it an extra step and believe that anything that aligns with their 'ideology' must be correct, that the argument is entirely one-sided. So Leftists think that it's impossible that capitalism could ever do anything good, that's just not true. Likewise, libertarians and free-market conservatives believe that Government is categorically bad and cannot do anything better than a business, also, i think that's just not true.

    There's many more, on many issues, whether its religion, abortion, moral social issues, issues of taxation or economic theories, ideas about values and goals.

    I've got some work to do away from the computer so unfortunately I cannot fill this thread at the moment, but talking with conservatives and liberals and leftists and just about every stripe has changed my position on many issues and made me more and more aware of my own limitations and the flaws in my ideas. I hope to get a good list of my own confusions, things i just don't "get", things that don't fit with my current framework, and things that people who think like me say that I disagree with, as well as the humbling step of saying I'm wrong on a few issues, or at least seriously misinformed.


    The point is, everyone has holes in their personal theory. The question is, are you big enough to acknowledge your own?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    On Abortion, I'll just say my arguments for this are flimsy at best. I tend to side pro-choice, but if we really break down the hows and whys of the debate, there seems to be a point where it stalls, on the definition of a Person and the question of who deserves Rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    To whoever moved this, I submit that your flaw is the inability to acknowledge your own flaws, and the resistance to even try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Abortion is the only major paradox that I am aware of.

    If you take a stand of "Absolutely no abortions ever." then you're on safe ground, but it has never been thus.

    If you make an exception for gross deformity or other health issue, then anything less than perfect is pretty much in play.

    If you make an exception for rape, then we are dealing with a fairly broadly defined term which really boils down to an unwanted pregnancy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Bleda
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    The point is, everyone has holes in their personal theory. The question is, are you big enough to acknowledge your own?
    Pretty much yes. I've had several ideologies and positions on issues throughout my life.

    It's just most of the time when someone loses an argument, and the person they're arguing with is being a complete ass about it, they're not going to admit being wrong. I've noticed that only in civil, respectful arguments do people openly admit being wrong and change their position on an issue.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,305
    The point is, everyone has holes in their personal theory. The question is, are you big enough to acknowledge your own?
    That's because nobody's perfect. We're human. We're fundamentally flawed on all levels and I don't care who you are. But when it comes to my "ideology"(which is a misnomer because it isn't something I invented), even though I subscribe to a particular political ideology, I don't see life as simplistic as black and white. This is why I consider myself more centrist than some might believe. For example, I don't believe homosexuality is right. It's my opinion. Not right or wrong, it's just an opinion. Just like I find Ben&Jerry's Peanut Brittle ice cream better than Chunky Monkey. I believe it to be wrong so I don't partake in it. However, if you do, that's great. If you walked up to me on the street and proclaimed that you were gay, I would reprimand you not for your choice of sexual partners, but for you're believing this is information I needed to know. Simply put, I don't care. As I've often said, I believe that we should all be free to live our lives in any way we see fit as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's life, liberty, or property through force or fraud. You'd be hard pressed to challenge that aspect of my ideology.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    The point is, everyone has holes in their personal theory. The question is, are you big enough to acknowledge your own?

    For some time I maintained the theory that you aren't as stupid as you appear, but came to realize my error when faced with overwhelming empirical evidence. Does that count?
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •