Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    The vestry conducts a "canvas" each year where they visit with members (Episcopal churches maintain a membership) and ask them to commit to a certain amount each week. You then get a nice little box with 52 envelopes in it to make your pledges in, whether you attend or not. In colonial times, the vestry would sue you if you didn't pay up.
    I'm a Baptist, and we get a nice little box with envelopes, also. In no way is this equivalent to the IRS beating down your door, confiscating your property, and locking your bank account. In fact, believe it or not, if we were in need, we could go to our church and ask for help!!!! Not only would we receive it, we wouldn't have to prove everything from how much money we earn to how many pairs of socks we own to get it. Imagine that...money freely given to the church, and freely distributed as needed. Without any huge government overhead, tons of red tape, social workers scanning your underwear drawers, or anything. What a concept! :eek:
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    The vestry conducts a "canvas" each year where they visit with members (Episcopal churches maintain a membership) and ask them to commit to a certain amount each week. You then get a nice little box with 52 envelopes in it to make your pledges in, whether you attend or not. In colonial times, the vestry would sue you if you didn't pay up.
    I sit on the vestry of a large Episcopal church and what you are saying is absolutely untrue. Some parishes may do this but it is not ture for all or even most parishes that I am familiar with. Because I sit on a Diocesan committee I am familiar with a lot of parishes. Please limit your comment to only those parishes that you have personal experience with.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 01-09-2011 at 09:34 PM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I sit on the vestry of a large Episcopal church and what you are saying is absolutely untrue. Some parishes may do this but it is not ture for all or even most parishes that I am familiar with. Because I sit on a Diocesan committee I am familiar with a lot of parishes. Please limit your comment so only those parishes that you have personal experience with.
    True. I was on the vestry at a small Episcopal Church and the same is true of my experience there.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    I'm a Baptist, and we get a nice little box with envelopes, also. In no way is this equivalent to the IRS beating down your door, confiscating your property, and locking your bank account. In fact, believe it or not, if we were in need, we could go to our church and ask for help!!!! Not only would we receive it, we wouldn't have to prove everything from how much money we earn to how many pairs of socks we own to get it. Imagine that...money freely given to the church, and freely distributed as needed. Without any huge government overhead, tons of red tape, social workers scanning your underwear drawers, or anything. What a concept! :eek:
    I am a member of a Baptist Church now. Our church does a lot of outreach for the community in our food ministry and helping out with other physical needs of the community, along with addressing spiritual needs. We spend a lot of resources on these ministries.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!