Thread: 'Florida Police Cracking Down on Loud Booming Music In Cars "

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 'Florida Police Cracking Down on Loud Booming Music In Cars " 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Tom Palumbo likes to crank up the bass when he drives his purple 2005 Dodge Magnum. But after getting a $119 ticket in September for playing music too loudly on his car stereo, the 47-year-old Palm Bay, Fla., resident says he keeps his eyes peeled for local law enforcement when he's on the road..."noise pollution'"
    (Snip)
    Palumbo was one of the thousands of people ticketed last year under a Florida law that makes it a criminal offense to drive with a car stereo "plainly audible" to a police officer 25 feet or more away, according to the Florida Department of Highway
    snip
    Other cities have stepped up enforcement in the past year "because people don't want their homes and businesses invaded by thumping at all hours of the day and night, causing them to lose sleep, get headaches, experience chronic fatigue and suffer stress."
    snip
    "The facts are that folks that turn up their car radios so loud that it rattles your teeth when they pull alongside of you is not only rude and disruptive, but people get very angry and it causes confrontations," Smith says.

•The Elgin, Ill., City Council toughened its noise ordinance in 2009, adding a provision to impound the offending vehicle and double the fine to $500, Police Chief Jeff Swoboda says.

The combination of stiffer penalties and a massive education campaign helped police reduce the number of tickets issued by half, Swoboda says.

After his election in 2007, the City Council passed a car-noise ordinance making it a ticketable offense to play a car stereo that could be measured at more than 83 decibels from at least 35 feet, Moore says. Fines start at $250 for a first offense and run as high as $1,500, he says.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ars10_ST_N.htm

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    In Virginia it is supposedly illegal to play your car stereo so loudly that it interferes with other drivers. It doesn't appear to be enforced. I think it is the heighth of rudeness and immaturity to play your music so loudly that it is a disturbance or a nuisance to other people on the road, particularly at stop lights. This guy is 47?? what a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    In Virginia it is supposedly illegal to play your car stereo so loudly that it interferes with other drivers. It doesn't appear to be enforced. I think it is the heighth of rudeness and immaturity to play your music so loudly that it is a disturbance or a nuisance to other people on the road, particularly at stop lights. This guy is 47?? what a moron.
    I've had the booming of a car wake me at 3 am and the road is over 500 ft away .How can the idiot driving stand the sound pressure inside the car ?

Fabulous Poster
    check out this barf bag

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...lawyer/1109672

ST. PETERSBURG — Richard T. Catalano remembers quite clearly the morning his epic legal battle started.

He was driving to work. Justin Timberlake was playing on his car stereo. The windows were down. It was 7:34 a.m. Then police lights flashed behind him. He pulled his white 2003 Infiniti G35 over.

His car stereo was too loud, the officer told him.

"What are you talking about?" Catalano told him.

Catalano had run afoul of the state law combating the menace of booming car stereos. He protested — but to no avail.

The St. Petersburg police officer wrote him a $73.50 ticket.

If your music makes the windows on my house rattle as you drive by, it's too damn loud.

I used to live down the street from a club that closed at 0400 every night, which meant that from about 0401-0500, our street sounded like Studio 54. It was especially bad at my end of the block, because they would get stopped at the traffic light and sit there with their stereos blaring.

The best solution to something like that is an M72A2 LAW through their rear speakers.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I used to live down the street from a club that closed at 0400 every night, which meant that from about 0401-0500, our street sounded like Studio 54. It was especially bad at my end of the block, because they would get stopped at the traffic light and sit there with their stereos blaring.

The best solution to something like that is an M72A2 LAW through their rear speakers.
    Through the rear window Just like Saddam's kids .

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    check out this barf bag

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...lawyer/1109672

ST. PETERSBURG — Richard T. Catalano remembers quite clearly the morning his epic legal battle started.

He was driving to work. Justin Timberlake was playing on his car stereo. The windows were down. It was 7:34 a.m. Then police lights flashed behind him. He pulled his white 2003 Infiniti G35 over.

His car stereo was too loud, the officer told him.

"What are you talking about?" Catalano told him.

Catalano had run afoul of the state law combating the menace of booming car stereos. He protested — but to no avail.

The St. Petersburg police officer wrote him a $73.50 ticket.
    Actually, he should have been cited for listening to Justin Timberlake.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Actually, he should have been cited for listening to Justin Timberlake.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. You'd think he'd listen to it as quietly as possible so no one else would know.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking. You'd think he'd listen to it as quietly as possible so no one else would know.
    I thought I told you to go back under a rock. *runs*
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy