Thread: Winning the lottery: Does it guarantee happiness?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecate View Post
    Money does very weird things to people. I've seen families fight over inheritance money, real estate, etc.

If I ever came into that kind of money, I doubt that much would change. Modest house, modest car, modest clothing, etc., material things don't mean very much to me. I'd probably buy an assload of gold, platinum, and palladium bars and have them strewn in safe deposit boxes all over central Texas. I'd keep just enough money in the bank to pay the bills, so essentially I would appear "broke" on paper.
    I have seen families fight over cemetery lots which is unbelievable to me. My mom was worried that my brother and I would fight over our inheritance. As kids, a week hardly passed by that we did not have a fistfight. I assured her that would not happen. We split up the estate equally.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I have seen families fight over cemetery lots which is unbelievable to me. My mom was worried that my brother and I would fight over our inheritance. As kids, a week hardly passed by that we did not have a fistfight. I assured her that would not happen. We split up the estate equally.
    I have seen several familes where an estate is left for the heirs to split up. I think it is a cowardly way of doing anything. Man the fuck up and leave it someone. Name fucking names.

I have three daughters. I have had a great financial turnaround and have a small spread, some stock and horses now. Deeanna, my youngest girl has only been with me for less than a year but she is the only one taking an interest in keeping my little spread going. My other girls have no interest in horses or anything and Deeanna does. Who do you think is named in my will to inherit my place?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I have seen several familes where an estate is left for the heirs to split up. I think it is a cowardly way of doing anything. Man the fuck up and leave it someone. Name fucking names.
    That is exacatly how the will was written. My brother and I inherited the estate equally.

Not so with my Aunt who left no will and did not do a succession on her husband. The damn lawyers and CPA have already been paid over 100 grand out of the estate. This cluster-fuck has gone on for over 6 years.

Banned
    You know what is really sad? My two older daughters see Deeanna as a usurper not a sister. My oldest is even hostile toward her. Deeanna on the other has turned out to be a great kid. She has crawled under vehicles with me to help me remove a muffler or starter. She does not mind cleaning out the horse stables, tossing hay bales around. A couple of weeks ago my mom was in the hospital for a couple of days and Deeanna prepared dinner for me. Worst fucking meals I ever had to eat (and this is coming from someone who did over six years in prison) but I appreciated the heartfelt effort.

It is hard to believe that she was ever a city kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    You know what is really sad? My two older daughters see Deeanna as a usurper not a sister. My oldest is even hostile toward her. Deeanna on the other has turned out to be a great kid. She has crawled under vehicles with me to help me remove a muffler or starter. She does not mind cleaning out the horse stables, tossing hay bales around. A couple of weeks ago my mom was in the hospital for a couple of days and Deeanna prepared dinner for me. Worst fucking meals I ever had to eat (and this is coming from someone who did over six years in prison) but I appreciated the heartfelt effort.

It is hard to believe that she was ever a city kid.
    I know of a case similar to yours. Truck stop on I-65, Tennessee Exit 22, just North of Alabama. Good place.
    The well loved owner died a year ago. There were 3 children, one of whom was adopted. The adopted child (now an adult) was the one who was always there. Knew the business inside and out.
    He got it all. Does a fantastic job of running the place just like his adopted dad.
    You go for it Speedy! You leave things to the person who will take care of business - family and otherwise. Pay off the other kids a little, of course, but you leave the one in charge who should be in charge.:)