Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 What women REALLY want: To marry a rich man and stay at home with the children 
    What women REALLY want: To marry a rich man and stay at home with the children

By Liz Hull
    Last updated at 7:49 AM on 10th January 2011

Return of the housewife? A new survey suggests most women would prefer to be at home with the children

Most women still prefer to marry a man who earns more money than they do and would stay at home with their children if they could afford it, according to a survey published yesterday.

Despite years of equality campaigning and advances for women in the workplace, 64 per cent said they aspire to find a husband who brings home a larger pay packet than they do. None wanted to marry a man who earned less. And 69 per cent said they would prefer to stay at home to look after their children if money were not an issue.

Only 19 per cent wanted their other half to be better educated than they are. Instead 62 per cent said they wanted a man to have the same level of intellect. Thirty-one per cent thought they were better educated than their other halves, while 19 per cent thought their husbands were better educated.

The survey follows controversial research published last week by Dr Catherine Hakim of the London School of Economics, which claimed more women are choosing to ‘marry up’ by picking wealthy men for their spouse than in the 1940s. In her report, published by the Centre for Policy Studies think-tank, she said men dominate the top positions because women do not want careers in business.

She also criticised David Cameron for backing the idea of quotas to ensure that leading companies appointed more women to their boards. The research, which drew on existing data from Britain and Spain, showed that 20 per cent of British women married husbands with a significantly better education than their own in 1949.

By the 1990s, the percentage of women deciding to ‘marry up’ had climbed to 38 per cent – with a similar pattern repeated in the rest of Europe, the U.S. and Australia.

The report concluded that equal roles in the family, where husband and wife shared employment, childcare and housework, was ‘not the ideal sought by most couples’. Now a YouGov survey of 922 women, aged between 18 and 65, which was conducted for the Sunday Times last week, has backed Dr Hakim’s claims.
    Shocking! Women wanting to raise their own kids? :eek:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz1Ak4gDhs2

Every woman but my sister, who is really into working.

As I don't have kids and probably won't (there is no way in hell I'm going to be a 60 year old mother of a teenager), I'll be working until I retire. 8 years, 10 months.

I would have preferred less working time when the kids were younger, but needed to support them, so no good options were available. The ex didn't like to work, had more education than I (had many advanced degrees, a professional student). I "brought in the bacon" with a mere BA, with dual majors in English and political science. But at least I gave an example of the value of working both hard and smart to my two sons.

Most women probably would like a mix of the intellectual stimulation of a job, as well as the monetary rewards, with adequate time to spend with the kids. It's not always attainable.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Two things would have made my career more fulfilling (I am a retired salesman become trucker became retired again).

1) If I made as much money as everyone thought I did.
    2) If traveling was as much fun as everyone thinks it is.

Work is work. Women find out - just as men do - that the glamor of work wears off. Every time you get a promotion you get all fired up again, and then it wears off again.

Then you realize that the world is run by sociopaths. It always has been. Maybe women figure this out before men do, maybe men figure it out and become sociopaths so they can get ahead. Probably a blend of both.

Who wouldn't, man or woman, want to spend more time with their children if money were not an issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    Then you realize that the world is run by sociopaths. It always has been. Maybe women figure this out before men do, maybe men figure it out and become sociopaths so they can get ahead. Probably a blend of both.
    There's something to that. Women as a group are much more "average" than men as a group. We have fewer sociopaths in our ranks. We're also less ambitious as a group and we derive much less of our personal identity from paid work. Women are also more likely to see family relationships and day-to-day household management as more rewarding and less annoying than men.

These findings haven't changed much over the past 10,000 years. It's breaking the backs of countries that finance stay-at-home Moms, too. Sadly.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    What-women-REALLY-want-To-marry-rich-man-stay-home-children
    Who wouldn't?

All though, I have to say I do not envy my friend Cruella who is a househusband. Sure, he doesn't have to commute to work, gets to spend a couple of months a year in Florida, has a decent allowance and a Lincoln, etc... but the price is too high. Being responsible for taking care of a neurotic breadwinner is too much.

I've also noticed that many of these women who want to marry well and stay home with the kids, seek to divorce-well shortly after the kid/kids are born.

The funny thing about people you give money to is that they soon come to expect it, then they come to believe that they deserve it, then they come to believe that you owe it to them. It's rather like salary, no matter how much you pay someone, after a while he thinks he deserves more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Who wouldn't, man or woman, want to spend more time with their children if money were not an issue?
    Men work to get away from the wife and kids :D

Power CUer
    No, what we really want is to marry a rich man and stay at home without children. Easier to schedule lunch dates at the country club, that way. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    No, what we really want is to marry a rich man and stay at home without children. Easier to schedule lunch dates at the country club, that way. :)
    Wouldnt life get boring without a job or kids? Well on the plus side women like that may have the poolboy to keep her company ;)