Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 'Homophobic' Dire Straits hit Money For Nothing banned from radio... 
    'Homophobic' Dire Straits hit Money For Nothing banned from radio... 26 years after its release

By Liz Thomas
    Last updated at 2:58 PM on 14th January 2011

It may be a classic rock song but 26 years after it was first released Dire Straits hit Money For Nothing has been banned from radio. The song was ruled too offensive for the airwaves in Canada because it contains the word 'f****t' and can now no longer be played in its original form.

Any station that wants to play the song will have to edit it or disguise the word, according to a ruling by the Canadian Broadcasts Standards Council.

The decision came after a listener complained that the broadcast of unedited version of the song – which mentions the word three times – was 'extremely offensive' to gay, lesbian and bisexual people. The songs second verse contains the offensive word three times.

It says: ‘The little 'f****t' with the earring and the makeup. Yeah, buddy, that’s his own hair'

‘That little 'f****t's' got his own jet airplane. That little 'f****t' he’s a millionaire'.

The entire verse is edited out of some versions of the song, or the word is simply replaced.

The council concluded that 'f****t'. when used to describe a homosexual man, is a word 'that, even if entirely or marginally acceptable in earlier days, is no longer so.' 'The societal values at issue a quarter century later have shifted and the broadcast of the song in 2010 must reflect those values, rather than those of 1985.'
    First those other clowns are "translating" Mark Twain and now the Canadians do this (not that Canada has free speech, anyway). I can hardly wait for some earnest do-gooders to get busy and rewrite Alex Haley's Roots.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1B1cBvS1Y

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    26 years later? Way to be on top of things, Canada.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Good grief. People unclear on the concept.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    First those other clowns are "translating" Mark Twain and now the Canadians do this (not that Canada has free speech, anyway). I can hardly wait for some earnest do-gooders to get busy and rewrite Alex Haley's Roots.

We'll have to bring it back to make up the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoXiw...eature=related

How about Clapton ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UX8t...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOxWW...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    26 years later? Way to be on top of things, Canada.
    They just really wanted to think it over before making a decision

As was discussed on my local classic rock station this morning, the words "faggot" in this song is used to desribe the rockers of the day. As Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue said about the song, "They're talking about me"

Faggot meant pretty boy. When the dudes looked like chics with the huge hair and makeup. They had to be pretty first and skilled musicians later to make it in the music business at that time.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Fabulous Poster
    I'm surprised that I was unaware that the word was in that song, but then they do have a sort of Michael Stipe thing going on the vocals. Now that I read it, I'm not offended, it sounds like he's thumbing his nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

Banada, anyone?
    Bueller...Bueller
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

*sigh* Talk about getting it wrong. For starters, there is a version that leaves that entire verse out. 2nd, the inspiration for the song came when, IIRC, Knopfler heard 2 guys in an appliance store ripping on MTV videos and wrote a song about it. I mean, how thin skinned of a society are we wanting here? Has this body banned Straight Outta Compton yet?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    *sigh* Talk about getting it wrong. For starters, there is a version that leaves that entire verse out. 2nd, the inspiration for the song came when, IIRC, Knopfler heard 2 guys in an appliance store ripping on MTV videos and wrote a song about it. I mean, how thin skinned of a society are we wanting here? Has this body banned Straight Outta Compton yet?
    Email them the lyrics, I'm sure they'll get right on that. :p

I think we should outlaw poutine down here.

Eating that has no doubt caused numerous deaths. The people watching them eat it probably attempted suicide so outlawing it would be a two-fer.