Thread: Bread!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Which one? I had to order the pullman pan but I picked the french bread pan up at a local kitchen store.
    Mine is from Dehillerin, the mecca of kitchen stores. :) It's amazing how much I can get into my luggage for the trip home. If I had to ship it, the price would be insane.

http://www.e-dehillerin.fr/index.php
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Both. I have baked my own bread for years the way my mother taught us, but I honestly have never seen pans like those before. I have always just used the "traditional" steel ones.
    Let down your hair and try something new. The french bread pan is excellent anytime you want a long loaf. The perforations let your steam (you will need a pan of water) crisp up the loaves. The pullman pan is excellent anytime you want a perfectly square loaf (for Scandi open-faced sandwiches, for instance) but I usually use it for homemade black breads. They are richly flavorful and so need to be sliced thinly. This is easy with this shape (use an electric slicer - the home Hobart type).

I tried baking bread once and it didn't come out too great. Best thing close to bread that I've baked was a homemade focaccia.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I tried baking bread once and it didn't come out too great. Best thing close to bread that I've baked was a homemade focaccia.
    When you are learning try a high gluten flour if you have been unsuccessful in the past.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    I have my favorite yeast bread recipes, bread puddings. And long ago a try at puebo bread that i swear would rival bricks as building material. The family still talks about that one.

Lately experimenting with daughter grinding our own wheat and then bread baking in the oven. Can't find a suitable or desirable bread maker.

I've made biscuits over an open fire and on the stove even. a la lonesome dove.