Thread: Thousands Of Dead Fish Discovered Along Chicago Lakefront...

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1 Thousands Of Dead Fish Discovered Along Chicago Lakefront... 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Thousands Of Dead Fish Discovered Along Chicago Lakefront...

    A bizarre scene is evolving on the Chicago lakefront, with Canada geese and mallard ducks gulping down dead or dying gizzard shad.

    A major die-off of what appears to be the 2010 class is happening in Chicago harbors. Thousands, perhaps far more than that, of dead gizzard shad in the 3- to 5-inch range are frozen in the ice of Chicago harbors or floating around in open patches of water.

    “Gizzard shad are pretty sensitive,’’ Lake Michigan Program biologist Dan Makauskas said. “On the toughness scale, the herrings are pretty soft.’’

    Gizzard shad, members of the herring family, are more sensitive to drops in oxygen levels than most fish. And thick ice came early to Chicago harbors in December.

    The massive die-off was first documented Thursday by Carl Vizzone, a North Side fisherman who sits on the board of Perch America. What caught his eye was Canada geese and mallards eating dying shad at open water by DuSable and Diversey harbors. “This is not normal,’’ he said.


    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/01/...ong-lakefront/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    11,865
    Dead fish in large numbers wash up on Lake Michigan shores all the time. I've seen it on the other side of the lake.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Dead fish in large numbers wash up on Lake Michigan shores all the time. I've seen it on the other side of the lake.
    The experts all seem to disagree with you .......
    .
    "The massive die-off was first documented Thursday by Carl Vizzone, a North Side fisherman who sits on the board of Perch America. What caught his eye was Canada geese and mallards eating dying shad at open water by DuSable and Diversey harbors. “This is not normal,’’ he said.

    He’s right, agreed naturalist Joel Greenberg,
    author of A Natural History of the Chicago Region. Canada geese and mallards normally don’t eat fish, but, Greenberg said, “They are opportunistic.”
    snip
    Makauskas, who speculated that the young shad may not have built up enough reserves to survive the early onslaught of extreme cold, agreed the die-off is abnormal."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    11,865
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    The experts all seem to disagree with you .......
    .
    "The massive die-off was first documented Thursday by Carl Vizzone, a North Side fisherman who sits on the board of Perch America. What caught his eye was Canada geese and mallards eating dying shad at open water by DuSable and Diversey harbors. “This is not normal,’’ he said.

    He’s right, agreed naturalist Joel Greenberg,
    author of A Natural History of the Chicago Region. Canada geese and mallards normally don’t eat fish, but, Greenberg said, “They are opportunistic.”
    snip
    Makauskas, who speculated that the young shad may not have built up enough reserves to survive the early onslaught of extreme cold, agreed the die-off is abnormal."


    Maybe it's abnormal in Chicago. The fish that are poisoned by Chicago and Gary pollution usually wash up on Michigan beaches. But a few years ago, the perch were all washing up dead with red spots on them, in Holland and Muskegon. It was disgusting.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,563
    They committed mass suicide when they heard than Emmanuel was the heir apparent next mayor.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    gator
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    They committed mass suicide when they heard than Emmanuel was the heir apparent next mayor.

    Possible but more likely they heard of the tax increase and decided the fisherman would not have enough money for bait that the fish could steal and chose suicide over slow starvation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Madisonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Peoples Democratic Socialist Republic of Michiganistanovia
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    They committed mass suicide when they heard than Emmanuel was the heir apparent next mayor.
    ACORN is registering them to vote as I type.:D
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •