Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Look who has a new cause 
    Th1onein Donating Member (1000+ posts) Tue Aug-26-08 08:53 PM
    Original message
    HELP! This man will soon die.

As some of you may or may not know, I write to people on Death Row. Recently, I've been writing to Reginald Perkins, who is on Texas Death Row, and scheduled to die on January 22, 2009. Reginald is retarded, and was convicted on purely circumstantial (and not even good circumstantial)evidence. In fact, he is being convicted on the testimony of the person who probably committed the crime, himself. This is a travesty of justice.

Please, please sign the petition at the link below, asking the governor of Texas to spare Reginald Perkin's life:

http://www.petitiononline.com/rwp2904/petition.html
    Prior Prison Record
    Ohio Department of Corrections on a life sentence for one count of rape; released on parole in 1986; returned from parole in 1994, released on parole on 02/08/2000.
    Summary of incident
    on 12/04/2000 in Fort Worth, Perkins strangled his 64 year old black female step-mother, resulting in her death. Her body was found in the trunk of her vehicle in a parking garage.
    Guess it's her latest pen pal

What's funny is the majority of the signatures are from Eurowimps.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Has she ever found a murderer she didn't like?
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

What a classy lady she is.

She sort of skims over this stuff:

Evidence at his trial showed he pawned his stepmother's wedding ring and wrote fraudulent checks from the account of the family trucking business in Fort Worth. When Gertie Perkins showed up missing, police summoned to her home found a carpet removed, a phone cord disconnected and sheets missing from a bed.

He became a suspect after detectives learned of his previous convictions in Ohio for rape and attempted rape and that he had been a suspect in two killings in Cleveland in the 1980s. When arrested, he directed his father and police to the body.

Perkins also acknowledged the slaying to a fellow inmate while awaiting trial and said his motive was robbery.

At the punishment phase of his trial, jurors heard testimony that he pleaded guilty to rape and attempted rape of two 12-year-old girls in 1982 and that he had been implicated in the strangulation of two women. One of them was the mother of the girl he raped. The other was the sister of his ex-wife.
    What a Cunning Stunt Melelookatme is.

I hope they screw up and have to kill him twice.

Naturyl (1000+ posts) Tue Aug-26-08 10:21 PM
    Response to Original message
    16. No can do.
    Edited on Tue Aug-26-08 10:22 PM by Naturyl
    "At the punishment phase of his trial, jurors heard testimony that he pleaded guilty to rape and attempted rape of two 12-year-old girls in 1982 and that he had been implicated in the strangulation of two women. One of them was the mother of the girl he raped. The other was the sister of his ex-wife."

And "don't believe everything you read" cuts both ways.
    Somebody above said something about him and she replied with "don't believe everything you read".
    Zing :)

She is something else!

Th1onein Donating Member (1000+ posts) J Tue Aug-26-08 09:23 PM
    Response to Reply #3
    7. You can't believe everything you read, dear.

Reginald was working with his relatives, and helping them out and they were paying him a little bit here and there. He was NOT a plumber, but he helped a plumber and they TOLD him he was a plumber, so he told the TDCJ he was a plumber. Same thing with the truck driving.

This poor man is just pitiful. I've written to a lot of death row prisoners, and I've yet to see one that protests his innocence to me. They just don't do it. They don't talk about their cases. They try to get them overturned via a technicality, because they know that the evidence is against them.

This has not been the case with Reginald. From the beginning, he has railed against the injustice, and proclaimed his innocence. The evidence against him is about as substantial as a mist. He was convicted on the testimony of the man who actually committed the crime. However, he is a poor, ignorant, stupid black man; not even smart enough to contribute to his own defense.

It is shameful what the State of Texas is going to do to this man.
    There are several DUers that are doubtful.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Didn't any of the constitutional scholars at the DUmp mention this:

Atkins v. Virginia, 536 U.S. 304 (2002), is a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States ruled 6-3, that executing the mentally retarded violates the Eighth Amendment's ban on cruel and unusual punishments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkins_v._Virginia

To me euthanasia, abortion, the death penalty, and war are the most difficult issues a people face...I tend to oppose them in all but the most unusual circumstances...

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Th1onein
    It is shameful what the State of Texas is going to do to this man.
    No, it is shameful that you are defending this P.O.S. :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by everyman68 View Post
    Didn't any of the constitutional scholars at the DUmp mention this:

Atkins v. Virginia, 536 U.S. 304 (2002), is a case in which the Supreme Court of the United States ruled 6-3, that executing the mentally retarded violates the Eighth Amendment's ban on cruel and unusual punishments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkins_v._Virginia

To me euthanasia, abortion, the death penalty, and war are the most difficult issues a people face...I tend to oppose them in all but the most unusual circumstances...
    Are retarded murderers any less dangerous to society than non retarded murders?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Are retarded murderers any less dangerous to society than non retarded murders?

A eleven year old murderer is no less dangerous to society than a two score and eleven year old murderer is to society but most folks wouldn't give a lethal injection to a eleven year old...

You need mens rea for a criminal conviction...You need to prove not only that a crime was committed but that the person who committed the crime knew he committed one...If somone was truly retarded I don't know if they can form criminal content...Anecdotally, I had two close friends with retarded brothers...Their grasp on reality was tenuous at best...
    Last edited by everyman68; 08-27-2008 at 11:15 AM.