Chinese President Hu Jintao has just left Chicago, where I live, and his presence here — where he received a more unadulterated enthusiastic welcome, led by China’s chief cheerleader Mayor Richard Daley, than he received in Washington — got me thinking about the main event: his visit to D.C.

I loved that the Obamas’ cherished daughters, Malia and Sasha, were present for some of the festivities, and that Sasha later used President Hu to test her Chinese language skills.
snip
On my frequent walks to my neighborhood Starbucks, I often pass and exchange smiles with Caucasian women pushing strollers holding Chinese babies and toddlers.

The children are often dressed in pink. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a boy baby in this particular pairing of mother and child. The reason for all these girls here is one most Americans understand — generally speaking, in China, girls are less valued than boys, and so, in the face of the government’s one-baby policy, comes demand for early genetic sex-determination testing, and, sometimes, girls left by the side of the road to die.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...s-president-hu