Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1 We ARE alone: Despite discovering more planets, the chances of finding ET are dim 
    We ARE alone: Despite discovering more planets, the chances of finding ET are unlikely, says astronomer

    By Sophie Borland
    Last updated at 2:15 AM on 24th January 2011

    Still waiting for little green men to make contact? Don’t hold your breath.

    A leading astronomer has concluded there probably aren’t any aliens out there – meaning we are entirely alone in the universe.

    Even though there may be tens of thousands of other distant planets similar in size to Earth, the conditions on them are likely to be too hostile to support life-forms such as ET. Dr Howard Smith, a senior astrophysicist at Harvard University, believes there is very little hope of discovering aliens and, even if we did, it would be almost impossible to make contact.

    So far astronomers have discovered a total of 500 planets in distant solar systems – known as extrasolar systems – although they believe billions of others exist. But Dr Smith points out that many of these planets are either too close to their sun or too far away, meaning their surface temperatures are so extreme they could not support life. Others have unusual orbits which cause vast temperature variations making it impossible for water to exist as a liquid – an essential element for life.

    Dr Smith said: ‘We have found that most other planets and solar systems are wildly different from our own.

    ‘They are very hostile to life as we know it.’ ‘The new information we are getting suggests we could effectively be alone in the universe.

    ‘There are very few solar systems or planets like ours. It means it is highly unlikely there are any planets with intelligent life close enough for us to make contact.’ But his controversial suggestions contradict other leading scientists – who have claimed aliens almost certainly exist.

    Only last month Professor Stephen Hawking said the fact that there are billions of galaxies out there made it perfectly rational to assume there were other life-forms in the universe. Researchers from the University of London have recently suggested that aliens could be living on as many as 40,000 other planets.

    But Dr Smith suggests that such estimates are optimistic.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz1C45Kxorc
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,586
    I figure that although anything is possible as far as life on other planets is concerned. I also am skeptical of most claims of contact with alien life forms.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,073
    This kind of brings a paradox into the debate because this binds science's hands a bit. By saying we are alone kind of kills their notion that there is no divine force in the universe who put us here(God) because if you're a true analytical scientists, just sheer mathematics would tell you that there is life on other planets somewhere. So, either there is a God who created the earth then man in His own image or there are other worlds who were created by the same set of mistakes and happenstances that created us.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    This kind of brings a paradox into the debate because this binds science's hands a bit. By saying we are alone kind of kills their notion that there is no divine force in the universe who put us here(God) because if you're a true analytical scientists, just sheer mathematics would tell you that there is life on other planets somewhere. So, either there is a God who created the earth then man in His own image or there are other worlds who were created by the same set of mistakes and happenstances that created us.
    I would be willing to bet American money that life exists elsewhere in this solar system (I would bank on Europa, if pressed).

    The problem is sentient life evolving at the same general rate that we have in order to have "contact" be effective (what is our window? a couple of centuries, maybe?) and there is also God's Picket Fence (186,000 miles per second ... it's not just a good idea ... it's the law) that keeps away the overlap of any reasonably advanced life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member dixierat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Out in the sticks
    Posts
    178
    The aliens were unavailable for comment.

    When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Naïve.

    Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Dan D. Doty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pevely, Missouri
    Posts
    2,965
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I figure that although anything is possible as far as life on other planets is concerned. I also am skeptical of most claims of contact with alien life forms.
    That's why NW when you look at UFO cases you must go through all the evidence; witness statements, and physical evidence. Some cases really do drop surprises when least you expect them.

    The Carl Higon case in 1974 had a 7mm round which he fired at group of five elk, as described it " the bullet seem to float and then fell to the ground at fifty feet away." It was then he heard a twig snap , turned around to see a humaniod coming his way. Higon was taken back to the ship, taken on a flight, and returned. He suffered from confusion and was found by local authories a few hours later after calling for help by means of radio in his truck. After a hospital stay, Higon was able to present to the Sheriff's department and investigators the one piece of evdence he was able to save; the 7mm round that he had fired at the begining of the encounter. One of the deputies said the round had looked like it had been turned inside out. As of 1994, the round has since disappeared.
    Last edited by Dan D. Doty; 01-25-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.


    Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I would be willing to bet American money that life exists elsewhere in this solar system (I would bank on Europa, if pressed).

    The problem is sentient life evolving at the same general rate that we have in order to have "contact" be effective (what is our window? a couple of centuries, maybe?) and there is also God's Picket Fence (186,000 miles per second ... it's not just a good idea ... it's the law) that keeps away the overlap of any reasonably advanced life.
    Why do you hate Mars!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Why do you hate Mars!
    Better dead, than red.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    God is dead. Has been since 1966.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    God is dead. Has been since 1966.
    Is that when Zarathustra told you? Because He spoke about it almost a century before.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •