Thread: Eighties fashion 'violates laws of nature'

1. #1 Eighties fashion 'violates laws of nature' 
    Lopsided haircuts made popular by 1980s pop stars not only risk making those sporting them look silly but also go against the evolutionary process itself, according to a professor of mathematics.

Even 20 years later many still cringe at the decade's excesses from Flashdance legwarmers to shoulder pads, New Romantic frills and excessive eyeliner.

Now Prof Marcus du Sautoy, of Oxford University, says that as well as being in questionable taste some of the more bizarre haircuts of the 1980s actually run counter to the path of evolution.

Over the centuries people have developed to find symmetry attractive but the decade remembered for yuppies, mullets and ra-ra skirts saw a host of stars choosing daring asymmetrical haircuts, which flies in the face of nature's rules of attraction.

Prof du Sautoy, author of Finding Moonshine, a book about symmetry, will single out asymmetrical haircuts for particular criticism as the worst of the Eighties excesses at the Cheltenham Science Festival, which is sponsored by The Daily Telegraph.

Mike Score, the lead singer of Flock of Seagulls and a former hairdresser, had a lopsided hairstyle that has been copied, and parodied many times, most notably in a flashback episode of the American television sitcom Friends and his hair style has also been referred to in movies such as Pulp Fiction and The Wedding Singer.

But these go against nature's key message that symmetry is beautiful, so the decade will never be stylish, concludes Prof du Sautoy.

"As a student in the 80s I was never attracted to the music of the likes of Flock of Seagulls or Human League. Now I know why. The maths just says all that asymmetry just adds up to a fashion disaster. In the natural world, symmetry is always an indicator of something significant - it is there to attract attention', says Prof du Sautoy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...fashion105.xml

Finally! I have justification for hating the 80's! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Finally! I have justification for hating the 80's! :)
    Glad to be of service. :D :D

Us children of the 80's will have to dissent.

What's not to like? :D

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

I had those asymmetrical cuts in the 80s. Let me tell you guys a little a secret: they were banging each other harder and faster back then they are now. If haircuts and neon colors had any effect on attraction at all, it obviously just increased it.

Of course, it was probably harder to find something to be attracted to in 90s since everybody wore black, sang about suicide, and clumped around in those ugly boots. :D

noonwitch
    I used to love those baggy, knit sweaters from The Limited. They were perfect things to have when I was in college-warm enough for an early fall night without a jacket, and a good layer in really cold weather. Plus, they came in such great colors-I had a teal one, a black one, and a pink one.

In high school, though, I was a total preppy. I wore Izods, painter's pants, sweaters from LL Bean, stuff I got 20% off at the store I worked at (Steketees), Sperry topsiders without socks, and those turtlenecks with little whales and such printed on them. My most preppy outfit consisted of a pair of kelly green DC overalls, a pink and white striped LL Bean oxford, a pink turtleneck (or Izod on warmer days) under that, and the topsiders with no socks-unless it was deep winter, in which I wore green duck boots with pink socks that had alligators printed on the ankle line. I also had this really pretty LL Bean cardigan that was pink with white dots.

If anyone here was from my graduating class, they would know who I was just from reading that description of my outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    I had those asymmetrical cuts in the 80s. Let me tell you guys a little a secret: they were banging each other harder and faster back then they are now. If haircuts and neon colors had any effect on attraction at all, it obviously just increased it.

Of course, it was probably harder to find something to be attracted to in 90s since everybody wore black, sang about suicide, and clumped around in those ugly boots. :D
    Thank you, GS. I have (mostly) fond memories of the 80's. I looked damned cool in my lightweight light-colored suit jacket, pastel T-shirt, baggy slacks and sockless shoes, dammit, ala Don Johnson's Crockett of Miami Vice fame. I'd even wear that now if Shannon wouldn't care to be seen out with me dressed like that...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Us children of the 80's will have to dissent.

What's not to like? :D

Umm, not so much. While never a CC fan at all, BG did have a great voice...I just honestly couldn't stand looking at him. Her...whatever.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature