Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Celebutard Makes Sense 
    Actor Richard Dreyfuss: ‘Thinking’ as a Citizen, ‘Sooner or Later Makes Your Head Hurt’
    Friday, January 28, 2011
    By Nicholas Ballasy

(CNSNews.com) – Academy Award-winning actor Richard Dreyfuss, who is spearheading a civics education initiative across the country, said the responsibilities of a good citizen require hard, long-term thinking that “sooner or later makes your head hurt.”

At the National Press Club on Tuesday, CNSNews.com asked Dreyfuss, “Would you say the lack of civility, the harsh rhetoric is on both sides, the left and the right?”

Dreyfuss said, “Yes. You can’t distinguish between the bad guys are on the right and the good guys are on the left. The bad guys are the bad guys and that’s really the future delineation of, literally, the party system.”

“The complement of Republican democracy is that it asks the public to think,” he said. “The public was never, ever asked to think before because in every other theory of governance they were simply not part of the story, and the king would appoint someone from the aristocratic class to take care of the postal service and that was that.”

“Now, the common man has to learn how to think things through and think as a citizen, not just as a baker or a philologist,” said Dreyfuss. “He has to think as an American citizen and as a sovereign. And thinking, no matter who you are or what you think you know, sooner or later makes your head hurt. And it’s hard. And many people say, ‘It hurts too much, you take care of it.’”

“And the real delineation of the future of political opposition, in the future will be those who are willing to think things through, however much of a headache it gives them, and those who aren’t,” said Dreyfuss.
    This actually seems like a coherent and potentially important thought -- from a celebutard! :eek:

CNS

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This actually seems like a coherent and potentially important thought -- from a celebutard! :eek:

CNS
    Ugh! Celebrities. Good Lord, could imagine if one were ever elected president?

An Adversary of Linda #'s

CNS
    Obviously he's liberal as most Hollywood critters are.He seems to be telling the common swine to behave like good little hive mind bee's and avoid thinking as it hurts the poor ignorant working classes mind/head ?

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Pretty easily. I know you have a point, Oreo, so get it out.

Pretty easily. I know you have a point, Oreo, so get it out.
    I find it comical when Republicans (or conservatives in general) complain about celebrities in politics.

I find it comical when Republicans (or conservatives in general) complain about celebrities in politics.
    I was not "complaining". I was pleasantly surprised and supportive. I'm interested in the initiative that Dreyfuss is promoting and I think it may be a good thing. It's unusual for an entertainer to discuss the hard work of citizenship, to admit that being informed is often tedious or difficult, and to point out the short-comings on both sides.

I mean it's unusual in my world. In your world, I guess entertainers do this kind of thing routinely.

Wow, you are SOOO vague. Whatever do you mean?

Reagan was indeed a celebrity. He was also at one time a DIM. He grew a brain and switched party affiliation. The man became more than a celebrity by becoming a governor and president. The best president in over a hundred years.

I used to do many things. I built houses, installed floors, I was a salesman and a manager, I taught school and have been flying for the army for 25 years. You realize people do grow?

Dreyfus and the other celebutards are famous for reading other people's words in front of a camera, not for any particular acumen in political thought. Big difference between the idiotic rantings of clueless liberal celebutards and a Ronald Reagan.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Were you alive in the 80s? A celebrity was elected president.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Were you alive in the 80s? A celebrity was elected president.
    He's attempting humor. ;)

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    Dreyfus is a lib. I don't think a thing he says should be taken seriously. I'm thinking he's looking at some career change in the not too distant future.