Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    The ONLY way i'd ever vote for a celebrity is if they're a tried and true conservative. That's not gonna happen. Being leftist automatically indicates mental instability.

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    Dreyfus is a lib. I don't think a thing he says should be taken seriously. I'm thinking he's looking at some career change in the not too distant future.
    Here's a little insight into his small mind:
    Dreyfuss said, “Yes. You can’t distinguish between the bad guys are on the right and the good guys are on the left.
    Not too subtle for me.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

He may be a lefty but promoting civics and citizenship is no bad thing. Too many people are disengaged because politics seems so boring and difficult. I'm all for reminding people of their civic duty. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    He may be a lefty but promoting civics and citizenship is no bad thing. Too many people are disengaged because politics seems so boring and difficult. I'm all for reminding people of their civic duty. ;)
    And even so many who (imagine they) are informed only care about politics at the national level. It is local politics that are the most difficult yet the very thing you can have the greatest impact on.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I find it comical when Republicans (or conservatives in general) complain about celebrities in politics.
    We don't object to celebrities in politics. We object to idiots whose only claim to fame is celebrity. Reagan was a celebrity, but he was also a lot more. Before becoming president, Reagan was governor of the most populous state in the nation. Before that, he was president of the Screen Actor's Guild, one of the most influential unions in the country at the time, and was a key player in opposing the communist takeover of that union. In short, he wasn't a lightweight, despite the media's best (or worst) efforts to make him out as one. Even Arnold Schwarzenegger had a series of business successes before running for governor of California. Compare them with Alec Baldwin, Kieth Olbermann, Al Franken, and the other leftist celebrities who either have run for office or who claim to be considering it. What have they done to qualify them for the job of determining what laws should pass, what policies to pursue, what actions to take in response to a crisis? The celebrities that we object to are people who have never done anything except entertain, and in most cases, badly.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    We don't object to celebrities in politics. We object to idiots whose only claim to fame is celebrity. Reagan was a celebrity, but he was also a lot more. Before becoming president, Reagan was governor of the most populous state in the nation. Before that, he was president of the Screen Actor's Guild, one of the most influential unions in the country at the time, and was a key player in opposing the communist takeover of that union. In short, he wasn't a lightweight, despite the media's best (or worst) efforts to make him out as one. Even Arnold Schwarzenegger had a series of business successes before running for governor of California. Compare them with Alec Baldwin, Kieth Olbermann, Al Franken, and the other leftist celebrities who either have run for office or who claim to be considering it. What have they done to qualify them for the job of determining what laws should pass, what policies to pursue, what actions to take in response to a crisis? The celebrities that we object to are people who have never done anything except entertain, and in most cases, badly.
    Sure.

Regardless, celebrities (that are Americans, anyway) are citizens just like you and I and my plumber. If they want to run for office and they win, well, that's one less fucking lawyer writing laws.

Sure.

Regardless, celebrities (that are Americans, anyway) are citizens just like you and I and my plumber. If they want to run for office and they win, well, that's one less fucking lawyer writing laws.
    This is one of my objections to the kind of centralized authority that we are currently experiencing. The problem is not that laws are written by lawyers or that actors think that a career of reading other people's writing qualifies them for public office, it's that the centralization of power puts too much of it in the hands of anyone, and that actors and lawyers are simply the worst of the lot that might get their hands on it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

And even so many who (imagine they) are informed only care about politics at the national level. It is local politics that are the most difficult yet the very thing you can have the greatest impact on.
    Absolutely. I detest county-level politics but I show up just the same and it's worth it. A few years ago the county wanted to do a "land-swap" with a developer. The developer would have had a huge strip of land that actually connected two preserves and the county would have ended up with a rocky, hilly, skinny strip of land with railroad tracks going through it. The county politicos loved the deal, partly for the proposed revenue but mostly for the backdoor sweetheart deals that went with it. After all, who would care?

A lot of us, apparently. A lot of day hikers, dog-walkers, bird watchers, and assorted others got the word out and we were able to stop the deal with our votes. :)