Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    LOL! I must be the only woman in America with a 'take it or leave it' attitude about chocolate. Doesn't cocoa grow in South America? Do we need African chocolate?
    This could lead to the formation of the Organization of Cocoa Exporting Countries, a cartel which could seriously inflate prices and create additional scarcity. I look forward to telling my grandchildren about the chocolate lines and the ensuing Cocoa Wars. Soon, suicide bombers, chanting that they are "Coo coo for Cocoa Puffs" will be detonating themselves at candy counters throughout the world. :eek:

Just look at the manic energy in this fanatic's eyes!

What about unsustainable cocoa?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1CLfbqR00
    Apparently, they need to concentrate less on "fair trade" and concentrate more on physical security.
    Last edited by Odysseus; 01-28-2011 at 04:08 PM.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I missed the part about "fair trade cocoa" big difference, we have plenty of chocolate. The libs do this with coffee and diamonds too.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I missed the part about "fair trade cocoa" big difference, we have plenty of chocolate. The libs do this with coffee and diamonds too.
    Cocoa producers had issues with slave labor. Now, some may not have a problem with slave labor but for large companies, it can mess with the bottom line if enough people do so they get these NGO seal of approval type processes in place to make everyone happy that the 15 year olds getting their raw material are doing so willingly and not after having been abducted and beaten.

Everyone feels good. Isn't that sweet?

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Cocoa producers had issues with slave labor. Now, some may not have a problem with slave labor but for large companies, it can mess with the bottom line if enough people do so they get these NGO seal of approval type processes in place to make everyone happy that the 15 year olds getting their raw material are doing so willingly and not after having been abducted and beaten.

Africa has had issues with slave labor, and continues to have them. Fair trade practices are more cosmetic than real. When the supply dries up, the major suppliers will either buy from non-fair trade sources, seek new sources of cocoa, or raise the price on consumers, at least some of whom will not care about how the cocoa is harvested. Unless you are prepared to have the US take over the suppression of slavery the way that Britain did in the 19th century, there is little that we can do.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Africa has had issues with slave labor, and continues to have them. Fair trade practices are more cosmetic than real. When the supply dries up, the major suppliers will either buy from non-fair trade sources, seek new sources of cocoa, or raise the price on consumers, at least some of whom will not care about how the cocoa is harvested. Unless you are prepared to have the US take over the suppression of slavery the way that Britain did in the 19th century, there is little that we can do.
    I agree completely.

You pretty much just restated what I said but with more resignation than sarcastic cynicism.

I agree completely.

You pretty much just restated what I said but with more resignation than sarcastic cynicism.
    You'd be less cynical if you ate more chocolate. :p

Fabulous Poster
    What about unsustainable cocoa?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1CLfbqR00
    Vietnam is probably planting fully grown cocoa trees/bushes/whatever as we speak.

They use the same gimmic with south american coffee beans, for two dollars a pound more you can get certfied free trade. Identical beans likely from the same plantations.
    Suckers!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

They use the same gimmic with south american coffee beans, for two dollars a pound more you can get certfied free trade. Identical beans likely from the same plantations.
    Suckers!
    I have some bottled water to sell you for a buck fifty .... no, I swear! It's not from my tap!

Fabulous Poster
    Not this lib. I only buy coffee from the health food store as gifts, and I have never understood why people pay good money for "real" jewelry.