Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    LOL! I must be the only woman in America with a 'take it or leave it' attitude about chocolate. Doesn't cocoa grow in South America? Do we need African chocolate?
    This could lead to the formation of the Organization of Cocoa Exporting Countries, a cartel which could seriously inflate prices and create additional scarcity. I look forward to telling my grandchildren about the chocolate lines and the ensuing Cocoa Wars. Soon, suicide bombers, chanting that they are "Coo coo for Cocoa Puffs" will be detonating themselves at candy counters throughout the world. :eek:

    Just look at the manic energy in this fanatic's eyes!


    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    What about unsustainable cocoa?

    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1CLfbqR00
    Apparently, they need to concentrate less on "fair trade" and concentrate more on physical security.
    Last edited by Odysseus; 01-28-2011 at 04:08 PM.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,419
    I missed the part about "fair trade cocoa" big difference, we have plenty of chocolate. The libs do this with coffee and diamonds too.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I missed the part about "fair trade cocoa" big difference, we have plenty of chocolate. The libs do this with coffee and diamonds too.
    Cocoa producers had issues with slave labor. Now, some may not have a problem with slave labor but for large companies, it can mess with the bottom line if enough people do so they get these NGO seal of approval type processes in place to make everyone happy that the 15 year olds getting their raw material are doing so willingly and not after having been abducted and beaten.

    Everyone feels good. Isn't that sweet?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Cocoa producers had issues with slave labor. Now, some may not have a problem with slave labor but for large companies, it can mess with the bottom line if enough people do so they get these NGO seal of approval type processes in place to make everyone happy that the 15 year olds getting their raw material are doing so willingly and not after having been abducted and beaten.

    Everyone feels good. Isn't that sweet?
    Africa has had issues with slave labor, and continues to have them. Fair trade practices are more cosmetic than real. When the supply dries up, the major suppliers will either buy from non-fair trade sources, seek new sources of cocoa, or raise the price on consumers, at least some of whom will not care about how the cocoa is harvested. Unless you are prepared to have the US take over the suppression of slavery the way that Britain did in the 19th century, there is little that we can do.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Africa has had issues with slave labor, and continues to have them. Fair trade practices are more cosmetic than real. When the supply dries up, the major suppliers will either buy from non-fair trade sources, seek new sources of cocoa, or raise the price on consumers, at least some of whom will not care about how the cocoa is harvested. Unless you are prepared to have the US take over the suppression of slavery the way that Britain did in the 19th century, there is little that we can do.
    I agree completely.

    You pretty much just restated what I said but with more resignation than sarcastic cynicism.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I agree completely.

    You pretty much just restated what I said but with more resignation than sarcastic cynicism.
    You'd be less cynical if you ate more chocolate. :p
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    What about unsustainable cocoa?

    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1CLfbqR00
    Vietnam is probably planting fully grown cocoa trees/bushes/whatever as we speak.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Cocoa producers had issues with slave labor. Now, some may not have a problem with slave labor but for large companies, it can mess with the bottom line if enough people do so they get these NGO seal of approval type processes in place to make everyone happy that the 15 year olds getting their raw material are doing so willingly and not after having been abducted and beaten.

    Everyone feels good. Isn't that sweet?
    They use the same gimmic with south american coffee beans, for two dollars a pound more you can get certfied free trade. Identical beans likely from the same plantations.
    Suckers!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    They use the same gimmic with south american coffee beans, for two dollars a pound more you can get certfied free trade. Identical beans likely from the same plantations.
    Suckers!
    I have some bottled water to sell you for a buck fifty .... no, I swear! It's not from my tap!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I missed the part about "fair trade cocoa" big difference, we have plenty of chocolate. The libs do this with coffee and diamonds too.
    Not this lib. I only buy coffee from the health food store as gifts, and I have never understood why people pay good money for "real" jewelry.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •