Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    <looks up from her, "Lord, don't let those kids be black, please don't let those kids be black...." prayer>

I hope not.

~QC
    I hate to say it, but the odds are they were black. Statistically, you probably ought to say a few more prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I kind of figured the area was marginal when the term "Opportunity School" was mentioned. It's mostly high crime, poverty-plagued areas that use names like that in their educational programs.

How dysfunctional would an area have to be before a grown woman wouldn't call 911 on this kind of beat-down?
    Chitwood has his work cut out for him. There's pretty much not a day that does by that he's not in the paper due to some awful crime occurring there. There's a lot of spillover of city folk there. It's giving Chester a run for its money.

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    not too long ago, some 36 year old Starbuck manager was attacked by GIRLS from Upper Darby area. He was asthmatic and it killed him. There were about 6 girls. I think they've collected almost all of them. I thought it happened in NY but i could be wrong.

Hate crime? The victim is black so . . . clearly the kids who attacked him are not white or they would be calling it a hate crime . . . . Then again - seems to me that it is a hate crime of sorts. Seems to me that they probably attacked this kid for having some education. He seems well spoken in the interviews and used his words properly. No "he be" - "they be" shit.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I kind of figured the area was marginal when the term "Opportunity School" was mentioned. It's mostly high crime, poverty-plagued areas that use names like that in their educational programs.

How dysfunctional would an area have to be before a grown woman wouldn't call 911 on this kind of beat-down?
    It's really sad but this "walk right by and do nothing" attitude is extremely prevalent.

I won't lie, there have been plenty of times in my life when I saw something and knew inside of me what the right thing to do was, and didn't do it.

Nothing like this of course, but yeah sadly it's all too common.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I
    I won't lie, there have been plenty of times in my life when I saw something and knew inside of me what the right thing to do was, and didn't do it.
    I believe it.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Chitwood has his work cut out for him. There's pretty much not a day that does by that he's not in the paper due to some awful crime occurring there. There's a lot of spillover of city folk there. It's giving Chester a run for its money.
    I thought Chester was pretty nice the last time I was there. My friend's grandmother lived there in a scary old house you could film a horror movie in.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I think people in Pennsylvania can get Florida concealed carry permits.

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    Mother and kid were on Fox this am. She's pretty upset about it. His name is Nadim Khoury. She has some kind of accent. Where are they from originally?

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    It's really sad but this "walk right by and do nothing" attitude is extremely prevalent.

Nothing like this of course, but yeah sadly it's all too common.

I don't do that anymore, although I don't always directly intervene, since I have a cell phone and can call 911.

I watched a man beat a whore once in a gas station parking lot at 7 Mile and Woodward (in the hood). I went into the station, even though I had already paid, and asked the attendant to call the police (this was in the early 90s, before cell phones were so cheap and available). He said "she a ho, why bother?". When I went back out, the man had gone in to pay, and the woman was sitting in his truck with the door open. I asked her if she was all right and if she needed any help-she said no, everything was okay. At least I asked. Everyone else pumping gas pretended nothing happened.

After 9-11, the neighborhood kids in my current neighborhood starting picking on the Chaldean kid who lives across the street (now a teenager). I yelled at a bunch of them for it, on several occasions, because that is the kind of thing with kids that can escalate quickly.

I got the crap kicked out of me by bullies a few times as a kid, and watched a friend get beaten by one a couple of times. Adults do seem to vanish from sight when that happens, when most of the time, all it takes is for an adult to yell at the little snots to get them to stop.