Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I thought "hate crime" was another one of those concepts the left makes up and uses. Regardless of the color of the victims or perps, I have to think that any time you see violence such as this, there's obviously some hate involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    Mother and kid were on Fox this am. She's pretty upset about it. His name is Nadim Khoury. She has some kind of accent. Where are they from originally?
    Sounds Iranian. I had a Soldier once that had this name and he claimed he was from India.

I once got my butt lit up for putting a freshman upside down in his locker. We only meant to haze him. He made the situation worse by getting his butt cut by a broken hanger inside the locker. Coach was pissed!:eek:

We were only "having fun," today I would be facing felony charges.:(
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I believe it.
    no shit.
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    I thought "hate crime" was another one of those concepts the left makes up and uses. Regardless of the color of the victims or perps, I have to think that any time you see violence such as this, there's obviously some hate involved.
    I don't think you truly grasp the concept...i'm sure it's only a momentary lapse into reasonableness for you so cut it out. Its only a hate crime if it is white on black....rarely happens. Now it could be black on white but whitey caused it.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    Just because something is overused or misused doesn't mean it isn't legitimate in legitimate use. The legitimate use for the term is when harm is directed at another person based on who he is rather than something he has done. Mind you, I don't support hate-crime laws. I would be perfectly delighted to see all crimes solved and punished without regard to the status of the subject or victim. However, a history of selective enforcement, selective prosecution, and bias in the courts gave rise to the concept of special enforcement, special oversight, and removal of discretion in sentencing.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I thought Chester was pretty nice the last time I was there. My friend's grandmother lived there in a scary old house you could film a horror movie in.
    You must have been there a long time ago. Chester gives Detroit and D.C. a run for its money on murders per capita. It's a shame...it once was a grand little city, now its crime ridden and drug ridden. Still some beautiful old houses, especially right as you come to Swarthmore. I worked there for a year when I was in law school and I was pretty scared every day that I had to get out of my car. It was the first time I ever bought cigarettes at a store where the clerk was behind bullet proof glass.

Every politician has a plan to revitalize it. Somehow the politicians and their friends make money from the plan and the residents remain poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    Mother and kid were on Fox this am. She's pretty upset about it. His name is Nadim Khoury. She has some kind of accent. Where are they from originally?
    Apparently she is from Nigeria. The kids that did the beating may have been a mix of whites and blacks. I guess the post racial America in that area may lead to joining together to commit petty violent crimes.

I saw a little more of this on the news, and got some feedback from some other people. The kid was not hurt and he wan't hung from a tree...he was hung by his coat on an iron fence post. Apparently this happened right in front of some of the projects there, which would explain why nobody did anything. MYOB rules the streets there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Apparently this happened right in front of some of the projects there, which would explain why nobody did anything. MYOB rules the streets there.

Unless what's happening is funny. I had a crazy client in the projects in Detroit yelling at me on the porch one day, and all the neighbors were standing on their porches laughing at her, which only made her start yelling at them, too. I think that's what passes for entertainment when one is too poor to afford cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Just because something is overused or misused doesn't mean it isn't legitimate in legitimate use. The legitimate use for the term is when harm is directed at another person based on who he is rather than something he has done. Mind you, I don't support hate-crime laws. I would be perfectly delighted to see all crimes solved and punished without regard to the status of the subject or victim. However, a history of selective enforcement, selective prosecution, and bias in the courts gave rise to the concept of special enforcement, special oversight, and removal of discretion in sentencing.
    Most every crime is based on who the victim is. Sometimes it might be because of their color, or gender, or place in society, others it may be because they are alone, or look timid or unable to defend themselves. You cannot undue past wrongs of the criminal justice system by creating a special status for certain victims, conferred upon them by leftist ideals. Hate crime laws are not about justice. It's social engineering leading purposely to further divisions in our society.

Just explore the possibilities of the use of the designation. Imagine a rich white dude who wants a minority car jacker given extra sentencing because he insists he was targeted because of his wealth or status.

As an earlier poster said, if hate crime laws were all about fairness and justice, why is there never a call for this charge when the parameters of the crime don't fit the expected scenarios?

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Unless what's happening is funny. I had a crazy client in the projects in Detroit yelling at me on the porch one day, and all the neighbors were standing on their porches laughing at her, which only made her start yelling at them, too. I think that's what passes for entertainment when one is too poor to afford cable.
    too poor to afford cable? Where you been? Since when does that stop them? I'm the only one in my neighborhood without cable and I'm the one with the largest income.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.