Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Ah, The First Of The Month 
    Nothing like going to the supermarket with a shopping list and coupons because you have to stretch every dollar only to see carts full of cases of soda and junk food being paid for with "Family First" cards. Gotta love it. Must be nice to make life a party on other people's money. Fucking slugs. Ever notice that a lot of people using food stamps are fat? I mean really fat? And this is coming from a fat guy but these people are so grossly overweight that I should hang out with them to look thinner. I guess these people didn't get Michelle Obama's memo on proper eating habits.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    I assume you're talking about food stamps; I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone use them at our supermarket and not sure I would recognize them.
    Low income people tend to be obese because Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is cheaper than fresh fish and fresh broccoli.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

They don't have food stamps anymore. Now they get a card that looks like a debit card. And it's easy to see it when you're right behind them watching them use it. It disgusts me. And people like wee wee see no problem with this.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I assume you're talking about food stamps; I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone use them at our supermarket and not sure I would recognize them.
    Low income people tend to be obese because Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is cheaper than fresh fish and fresh broccoli.
    True dat.

My personal dislike for food stamps comes from being in a convenience store and seeing a woman spend $3 in food stamps (it was some ago and it looked like monopoly money) to buy a single ham sandwich. For that $3 she could have bought a loaf of bread and a package of sandwich meat.

Quote Originally Posted by hoplophobe View Post
    True dat.

My personal dislike for food stamps comes from being in a convenience store and seeing a woman spend $3 in food stamps (it was some ago and it looked like monopoly money) to buy a single ham sandwich. For that $3 she could have bought a loaf of bread and a package of sandwich meat.
    I thought you couldn't buy prepared food with food stamps?

Actually no, the people I know eat the same as everyone else, it's their lack of physical activity from not going to work everyday that puts on the pounds.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

And takes less work to prepare.

We no longer have "food stamps". The government issues a credit card in lieu of the stamps, so it looks as if they are just paying for purchases with visa or master card. It's meant to "reduce the stigma" of being on public assistance, which seems to me to be counterproductive, as the stigma is a motivation to get off of public assistance. I guess that I'm just an evil reactionary...
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I'm not near as judgmental about food stamps right now. The government has completely screwed up private industry right now and add too that our almost open border.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I'm not near as judgmental about food stamps right now. The government has completely screwed up private industry right now and add too that our almost open border.
    Some of those coming through the leaking border are on food stamps as well. Nice, huh?

You can eat a completely unprocessed, absurdly healthy, and ultra "green" diet for what people are given on the EBT program (even keeping in the mind that the food program is just a supplement - not a replacement). The problem is that you have to actually get off couch for a couple of hours to make enough food for every meal for an entire week (if you want to make it as a convenient as fast food).

I have to laugh when I hear the line about fresh food costing too much. Produce, dry beans, eggs, and chicken leg quarters are the cheapest stuff in the store. If you can hack store-bought bread, you can get it for virtually nothing if it's a day old (and it's gonna be a day old even if you bought fresh). Powdered milk tastes fine once you get it cold enough.

You can achieve superior nutrition with baked chicken, vegetable soups, veggie omelettes, and mixed salads. But you do have to make the food and it will not have the high seasoning and additives that create a party in your mouth.