Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 LETTER: ROTC Discriminates Against Transgender People 
    You can't make this idiocy up.

From the Harvard Crimson http://www.thecrimson.com/writer/120...asubramanian/:

By Janani Balasubramanian
    Published: Thursday, February 03, 2011

I am a junior at Stanford University and an officer of Stanford Students for Queer Liberation. I am frustrated and appalled by the rhetoric displayed in The Crimson’s Staff editorial “The Return of ROTC” published on January 31. As an advocate for civil rights, our organization is working against ROTC’s return to Stanford and against President Obama’s rallying cry for reinstituting the program across the nation.

The Crimson Staff first lauds the repeal of DADT and uses the now ostensible openness of the military as justification for ROTC’s return. In almost the same breath, The Staff points out the continued military exclusion of transgender and intersex people (though actually using the disparaging term "transgendered"), and then declares that this de jure discrimination should not be sufficient grounds for keeping ROTC away. To me, this is a huge logical hole. If discrimination against lesbian, gay, and bisexual servicemembers was a barrier, explicit exclusion of another identity group protected by Harvard and Stanford’s own respective non-discrimination policies should also be a barrier. Along those lines, if the excluded group were a racial minority, would this discourse be as defiantly pro-ROTC?

The Staff posits that the trans/intersex discrimination issue was not discussed until after DADT was repealed. No doubt, mainstream LGB (not T) organizations have been uncritically excluding transgender politics from the public discourse on DADT, but the National Center for Transgender Equality and other queer and transgender advocacy groups have been discussing these issues of access and discrimination. We should be questioning our unawareness of the transgender student exclusion issue.

The Staff also theorizes that Harvard failing to bring back ROTC risks a loss of credibility to administrators who promised ROTC would return after DADT. Schools like Harvard and Stanford do indeed have the ability to engage their communities in nuanced, self-critical dialogue. We, at both Harvard and Stanford, recognize that gender identity is more than a token addition to our non-discrimination policies. We can ask administrators to state that they were previously incognizant or unsympathetic to the institutional discrimination against transgender students, but that this argument is a compelling reason to uphold our investments in equal opportunity and oppose ROTC.

I ask that all universities considering ROTC, but especially those like Harvard and Stanford who possess huge cultural capital, issue statements opposing the program in support of their transgender students. Several of us at Stanford are working with queer and transgender advocacy groups like the NCTE, and they have explicitly stated that such statements would indeed have significant positive impact for their work in the area of military discrimination. This is not merely a “queer agenda,” however, but a problem that behooves attention from us all as students opposed to de jure discrimination in favor of civil rights.

Janani Balasubramanian

Palo Alto, Calif.

Jan. 31, 2011

Janani Balasubramanian is a junior at Stanford and an officer within the Stanford Students for Queer Liberation.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    And did I predict that this would be the next step? And, naturally, it's a civil rights issue, not a readiness issue.

--Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Anyone young enough to qualify for ROTC is too young to be making permanent decisions regarding sex change operations, as we are talking generally about college students under the age of 30.

Then again, I believe anyone who wants a doctor to change their body in such a dramatic way is mentally unstable. Plus, I think anyone over 30 who considers himself to be a bi-sexual is either afraid of a commitment or suffers from nymphomania or priapism, depending on gender.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Anyone young enough to qualify for ROTC is too young to be making permanent decisions regarding sex change operations, as we are talking generally about college students under the age of 30.

Then again, I believe anyone who wants a doctor to change their body in such a dramatic way is mentally unstable. Plus, I think anyone over 30 who considers himself to be a bi-sexual is either afraid of a commitment or suffers from nymphomania or priapism, depending on gender.
    It's hard enough to be a competent heterosexual. Bisexuality is just too much work. :p

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

You say nymphomania as if it were a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's hard enough to be a competent heterosexual. Bisexuality is just too much work. :p
    Plus, it doubles your chances for rejection. :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    In Florda. Out smacking around Useful Idiots
    Just go away already freaks. :mad:

Nah...didn't see this coming a mile away.

My opinion on the repeal of DADT is that it never was about letting gays serve openly. They pratcially do anyway under DADT. The repeal was/is symbolic.

What the Gay "rights" advocates have done is created a back door way (no pun intended) to force all 50 states to recognize gay "marriage".

There's a whole laundry list of stuff I forsee those of us in uniform have to be forced to accept in the near future.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Fabulous Poster
    Deborah Samson Gannett (December 17, 1760 - April 27, 1827[1]), better known as Deborah Sampson, was an American woman who impersonated a man in order to serve in the Continental Army during the American Revolution, and was the only woman to fight in the Revolutionary War.[2] She served 17 months in the army, as "Robert Shurtleff", of Uxbridge, Massachusetts, was wounded in battle and discharged honorably at West Point.

from wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Deborah Samson Gannett (December 17, 1760 - April 27, 1827[1]), better known as Deborah Sampson, was an American woman who impersonated a man in order to serve in the Continental Army during the American Revolution, and was the only woman to fight in the Revolutionary War.[2] She served 17 months in the army, as "Robert Shurtleff", of Uxbridge, Massachusetts, was wounded in battle and discharged honorably at West Point.

from wiki
    Irrelevant.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

from wiki
    That doesn't tell me that she was transsexual or transgender, merely that she wanted to be a soldier and her gender prohibited that, so she put on a disguise.

from wiki

In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.