Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Getting out of debt increases your happiness factor by a 1000%.
    QFT
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Tecate View Post
    I've been completely debt free for a little over 5 years now.

Something weird happens when you reach that point, especially after carrying debt for a long time. It caused me to start saving money at a rate I never thought imaginable.
    Yep. It's nearly impossible to save for retirement if all your spare money is going to pay down debt. I'm not debt free, as I still carry a mortgage...my accountant freaks out every time I mention paying it off because of the tax issue. But other than that I have no debt. Cars seem to be a debt that people get themselves in trouble...they keep trading in when they still owe money on the loan, so they never really get ahead with it. I haven't had a car loan in 10 years. I don't see the point in it. If I can't afford to buy a car for cash, then I can't afford the car.

That's the right attitude about cars. Dave Ramsey is forever trying to convince people that cars aren't important aside from transportation.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Yep. It's nearly impossible to save for retirement if all your spare money is going to pay down debt. I'm not debt free, as I still carry a mortgage...my accountant freaks out every time I mention paying it off because of the tax issue.
    Yep, our financial guy wants us to keep the mortgage too, because we have a 4.5% rate. Dave Ramsey has a good formula on why NOT to keep a mortgage - the amount you send in payments far outweighs the amount of tax you'd be paying without the mortgage deduction.

Any car I've owned has been paid for in cash on day one.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Yep, our financial guy wants us to keep the mortgage too, because we have a 4.5% rate. Dave Ramsey has a good formula on why NOT to keep a mortgage - the amount you send in payments far outweighs the amount of tax you'd be paying without the mortgage deduction.

Same here. I've never had a payment book. I didn't rest til I paid off my first house that I owned on my own. I also figured that the savings on payments on a home far exceed the tax credit. It's worth my piece of mind to know that I'll have a place to stay (unless I don't pay my taxes) and a method of transportation. Other expenses can usually be adjusted in case of a downturn.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Yeah, I try to make that argument with my accountant, but my investments have been doing pretty well, and I definitely get more back in the investments at this point. Mostly I'm just always afraid of being cash poor. But each year I look at the statement and say "I should just pay the damn thing off". Maybe this year. The taxes I pay are equal to the interest deduction I get, so at this point the interest writeoff is probably not all that worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    That's the right attitude about cars. Dave Ramsey is forever trying to convince people that cars aren't important aside from transportation.
    I'm constantly amazed at the people that come in my office with tales of financial woe driving cars that cost them over $600 a month. To me, that's the first expense that should go.

Banned

Dave is correct about paying off the mortgage early. Saving is contagious...the more you save, the more you want to save. Paying taxes to the IRS is just a fact of life. Even taking up residence in a foreign country does not remove you from the long arm of Uncle Sam's taxing machine. The US is the only country in the world that has this tax policy.

I bought a new car coming up on 2 years and probably will buy another sports car for cash this year. I get a great deal of pleasure from driving. Buying expensive jewelry like a Rolex watch or a ring does not do anything for me. Having a fine car does. Different strokes for different folks.

Old Dave was certainly wrong about the gold, silver and commodities market. Although, his advise on being debt free was spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Need pic of boat, can be picture of different boat of same kind.

:D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

68 guns is a lot for bass fishin'.

When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Naïve.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.