Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "For Amazing Sheer Audacity:China Maneuvers for U.S. Defense Contracts." 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    BEIJING—The maker of China's new stealth fighter jet has teamed up with a tiny, unprofitable California company to try to launch bids for U.S. defense contracts, possibly including one to supply Chinese helicopters to replace the aging Marine One fleet used by the president, according to people involved in the partnership.

Any Chinese bids for this or another contract under discussion would be certain to meet intense political resistance and would appear to have very little chance of success given mounting U.S. concern about China's military power and long-term strategic goals, and the often-prohibitive opposition in the past to Chinese attempts to enter other strategic U.S. sectors, such as energy and telecommunications.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1D9S3PC7V

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...nse-contracts/

The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar

Great! Will Wal-Mar be the distributer?

I really don't think this will go through. They tried it before, with a European contractor wanting to build Marine One... it was a big NO GO...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Great! Will Wal-Mar be the distributer?

I really don't think this will go through. They tried it before, with a European contractor wanting to build Marine One... it was a big NO GO...
    Yeah but, considering who's in the White House these days, who knows what will happen. Obumbles is so inept as President it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it did happen.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Yeah but, considering who's in the White House these days, who knows what will happen. Obumbles is so inept as President it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it did happen.
    I can still hope...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Okay, let me see if I understand this... China, which sees us as its main adversary, wants to build weapons systems for us? Systems that would require that they become intimately familiar with our defense capabilities, doctrine and technical specifications for any other systems that would interface with the weapons that they would build? Will they deliver it in a giant wooden horse, too?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Okay, let me see if I understand this... China, which sees us as its main adversary, wants to build weapons systems for us? Systems that would require that they become intimately familiar with our defense capabilities, doctrine and technical specifications for any other systems that would interface with the weapons that they would build? Will they deliver it in a giant wooden horse, too?
    How or why does China see us as its main adversary when it's industrial manufacturing base which is fueling their economic growth is sustained by our incessant consumption?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    How or why does China see us as its main adversary when it's industrial manufacturing base which is fueling their economic growth is sustained by our incessant consumption?
    The why is obvious. China views us as an impediment to its ambitions. China seeks to supplant the US as the global superpower. Our trade with China facilitates this by providing the engine for their economic growth and the technology for their military modernization. In other words, as Lenin said, when it came time to hang capitalists, it would be capitalists who would sell them the rope with which to do it. How do we know that this is China's intent? Even if they did not say it in their published military doctrine, their actions would make it obvious. From "The Nuclear Order – Build or Break", a symposium held by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Washington, D.C., the following is from "China–U.S. Strategic Stability" presented by Robert L. Pfaltzgraff, Jr.:

What we do know, however, is that, as the latest 2009 Department of Defense Military Power of the People’s Republic of China points out, China is making steady progress in developing offensive nuclear, space, and cyber-warfare capabilities. China is both qualitatively and quantitatively improving its strategic missile forces. This includes land-based forces that are mobile as well as an SSBN fleet that performs strategic patrols. China is also engaged in a variety of space activities, including ASAT programs, as evidenced by the January 11, 2007 direct ascent satellite intercept as well as a manned space and lunar program and the launch of small satellites. The 2009 Report also points to extensive Chinese writing on information warfare, including its methods and uses, as well as electronic countermeasures. China appears also to be orchestrating a vast cyber warfare operation aimed at many U.S. targets in and outside government as we have witnessed in recent years. At the same time China is engaged in overseas industrial and defense espionage in order to acquire advanced technology for economic and military modernization.

China’s military programs are consistent with its emphasis on power projection in and beyond the Asia-Pacific area. In other words China’s military programs are what you would expect to see in light of such strategic priorities.

The pace and extent of China’s military modernization are shaped by a desire to counter the U.S. presence in the Asia-Pacific area and military capabilities including U.S. reliance on carrier battle groups for power projection and U.S. dependence on space as well as information and the Internet. China is pursuing offensive capabilities in such critical areas as anti-space, anti-ship, and offensive cyber technologies. China is transforming its military from a manpower-based land army to a technology-based and professionally proficient world power. In the area of strategic nuclear modernization, China’s nuclear arsenal apparently reflects the importance assigned by Beijing to strategic forces as the umbrella under which its political-military interests will be advanced in and beyond the Asia-Pacific area.

--Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

They are dependent on us economically, I don't think they are going to try to be adversarial just because they can. America has missles aimed at many countries that we don't have any intention to start wars with, it's just precaution, it's just defense, it's just flexing those tech muscles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.