Thread: "Anorther Iceland Icelandic volcano 'set to erupt' "

Results 1 to 10 of 20

Hybrid View

  1. #1 "Another Iceland Icelandic volcano 'set to erupt' " 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Scientists in Iceland are warning that another volcano looks set to erupt and threatening to spew-out a pall of dust that would dwarf last year's event......... Geologists detected the high risk of a new eruption after evaluating an increased swarm of earthquakes around the island's second largest volcano.Pall Einarsson, a professor of geophysics at the University of Iceland, says the area around Bárdarbunga is showing signs of increased activity, which provides "good reason to worry".

    He told the country's national TV station that a low number of seismometer measuring devices in the area is making it more difficult to determine the scale and likely outcome of the current shifts.But he said there was "every reason to worry" as the sustained earthquake tremors to the north east of the remote volcano range are the strongest recorded in recent times and there was "no doubt" the lava was rising.

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-to-erupt.html
    Last edited by megimoo; 02-08-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,050
    Well it's a good thing it's an Icelandic Iceland volcano. Hate to have an Italian volcano erupt in Iceland.







    I'll edit the title if you want me to. ;)
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member ironhorsedriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Coal Fields of WV
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Well it's a good thing it's an Icelandic Iceland volcano. Hate to have an Italian volcano erupt in Iceland.








    I'll edit the title if you want me to. ;)
    That would be ugly , wouldn't it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    These two seem to always go off together. The Icelanders have been expecting this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    These two seem to always go off together. The Icelanders have been expecting this.
    The whole country is volcanic.They generate power from volcanic steam pumped up from subterranean steam pockets.They heat most of their buildings with volcanic steam .Whats a little volcanic eruption now and again,It helps to relieves the pressure !Think of it as an Islandic Yellowstone style Caldera .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    The whole country is volcanic.They generate power from volcanic steam pumped up from subterranean steam pockets.They heat most of their buildings with volcanic steam .Whats a little volcanic eruption now and again,It helps to relieves the pressure !Think of it as an Islandic Yellowstone style Caldera .
    It's true that they take advantage of their natural geothermal resources. They have pioneered that technology. You'll notice that the Icelanders don't get much exercised over the price of oil. They use it for engines but not for heating or electricity.

    On the other hand, Icelanders are notorious drunks. Well-mannered drunks but drunks all the same. ;)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Well it's a good thing it's an Icelandic Iceland volcano. Hate to have an Italian volcano erupt in Iceland.







    I'll edit the title if you want me to. ;)
    what if it were a mexican volcano erupting in Iceland! How funny would that be!:D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,139
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    what if it were a mexican volcano erupting in Iceland! How funny would that be!:D
    What would be funny is if you fell in the crater of an ant hill!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    What would be funny is if you fell in the crater of an ant hill!
    :mad: That only happened once and I was drunk. :p
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •