Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1 Facebook Casualty 
    Grouchy Old Broad Kay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Midland, Tx
    Posts
    3,699
    I thought I'd share this story with everyone as warning. I learned yesterday that
    an employee where I work had been fired for making 'terroristic threats' against
    the company on Facebook.

    This woman was off on maternity leave. She posted on her Facebook page that
    her leave was about up and she was dreading having to go back to work. She
    posted something to the effect of "I hope the whole building burns to the ground
    with everyone in it" so I don't have to go back. Another employee sees this and
    reports it to their supervisor, who takes it to HR and the end result is the person
    was fired for 'terroristic threats'.

    Now I know this person who posted that is no more going to burn the building
    down than I would. She was just venting and thought she was talking just among
    friends on Facebook and I know didn't mean a thing by it other then she was
    dreading to go back to work after being off so long.

    But that's the danger of putting words out there on a social site.
    Kind of scary as you never who's reading what you say and might take it literally.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,517
    "I have NO idea what you're talking about."
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I thought I'd share this story with everyone as warning. I learned yesterday that
    an employee where I work had been fired for making 'terroristic threats' against
    the company on Facebook.

    This woman was off on maternity leave. She posted on her Facebook page that
    her leave was about up and she was dreading having to go back to work. She
    posted something to the effect of "I hope the whole building burns to the ground
    with everyone in it" so I don't have to go back. Another employee sees this and
    reports it to their supervisor, who takes it to HR and the end result is the person
    was fired for 'terroristic threats'.

    Now I know this person who posted that is no more going to burn the building
    down than I would. She was just venting and thought she was talking just among
    friends on Facebook and I know didn't mean a thing by it other then she was
    dreading to go back to work after being off so long.

    But that's the danger of putting words out there on a social site.
    Kind of scary as you never who's reading what you say and might take it literally.
    It's the old story.Never puit in writing how you really feel about anything .It seens to me common sense that you don't go and 'spill your guts' to people that you've never met and don't really know anything about ?If you were to tell a person that you don't trust a secret about someone else count on it coming back to bite you in the butt !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,517
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    It's the old story.Never puit in writing how you really feel about anything .It seens to me common sense that you don't go and 'spill your guts' to people that you've never met and don't really know anything about ?If you were to tell a person that you don't trust a secret about someone else count on it coming back to bite you in the butt !
    At the risk of realigning all the stars and planets, I have to say.... MEGIMOO IS RIGHT about this.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    At the risk of realigning all the stars and planets, I have to say.... MEGIMOO IS RIGHT about this.
    Time to move this thread.

    It's the end of Teh World I tell ya!!:D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Time to move this thread.

    It's the end of Teh World I tell ya!!:D
    You two should 'hook up' somewhere !How about Gehinnam ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,517
    I can understand her not wanting to go back to work (and, hey! She got her wish, right?). I do think it's pretty nasty to want the building to "burn down with everyone in it". Now she has a good long time to think about what words mean, and how to express herself better. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    People need to process the fact that the Internet is a quasi-public arena unless you take pains to conceal your interactions from others.

    Even then, if you post something inflammatory on a site, behind the security wall, you still run the risk of an interested party seeing it, copying it, and passing it along for amusement or maliciousness.

    Playing around on the Internet is like going to a huge block party. Sure, you can drink too much and feel up one of neighbors without too much trouble but if someone wants to get you, you can be sure your activity will be gleefully reported to your spouse along with any relevant pix.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,642
    I barely breeze by my facebook page but when I do, I never say anything so stupid. But in a sense, she got her wish. I hope she's happy.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    It's the old story.Never puit in writing how you really feel about anything .It seens to me common sense that you don't go and 'spill your guts' to people that you've never met and don't really know anything about ?If you were to tell a person that you don't trust a secret about someone else count on it coming back to bite you in the butt !
    There are a lot of people who only friend somebody they personally know on facebook or these other social networking sites.

    Megimoo is right though. Watch your mouth on facebook. There's always going to be somebody who takes things a little bit too seriously. Oddly enough, I don't even have co-workers as facebook friends. If one of them sends me a request, I'll accept. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I want to open that door on myself. Actually, it's been suggested that I remove where I work from my profile because there is software that a company can use to find out stuff in relation to their company and the website.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •