Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Democrats Strive to Show They Got Religion Too 
    Democrats Strive to Show They Got Religion Too
    By Michelle A. Vu
    Christian Post Reporter
    Mon, Aug. 25 2008 03:01 PM EDT

The Democratic National Convention looks different this year as Christian and other religious leaders take center stage this week as part of the Democrats’ effort to show a more faith-friendly image to American voters

“Democrats have been, are and will continue to be people of faith - and this convention will demonstrate that in an unprecedented way,” Leah Daughtry, CEO of the Democratic National Convention Committee and a Pentecostal pastor, said in a written statement, according to Fox News. “As convention CEO and a pastor myself, I am incredibly proud that so many esteemed leaders from the faith community will be with us to celebrate this historic occasion and honor the diverse faith traditions inside the Democratic party.”

Read More

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Democrats Strive to Show They Got Religion Too
    By Michelle A. Vu
    Christian Post Reporter
    Mon, Aug. 25 2008 03:01 PM EDT

The Democratic National Convention looks different this year as Christian and other religious leaders take center stage this week as part of the Democrats’ effort to show a more faith-friendly image to American voters

“Democrats have been, are and will continue to be people of faith - and this convention will demonstrate that in an unprecedented way,” Leah Daughtry, CEO of the Democratic National Convention Committee and a Pentecostal pastor, said in a written statement, according to Fox News. “As convention CEO and a pastor myself, I am incredibly proud that so many esteemed leaders from the faith community will be with us to celebrate this historic occasion and honor the diverse faith traditions inside the Democratic party.”

Read More
    They can have the creationists.

From the OP site:

Young Evangelical Backs Out of Convention Prayer

DENVER - It was a coup for Democrats: An emerging young evangelical voice, a registered Republican no less, accepted their invitation to deliver a prayer at next week's Democratic National Convention.
    But Cameron Strang, the 32-year-old editor of edgy and hip Relevant Magazine, had second thoughts and pulled out of delivering the benediction on the convention's first night, Monday. Citing fears that his bridge-building gesture would be wrongly construed as an endorsement, Strang said he instead hopes to take a lower-profile role, participating in a convention caucus meeting on religion later in the week.

"Through Relevant, I reach a demographic that has strong faith, morals and passion, but disagreements politically," Strang wrote on his blog. "It wouldn't be wise for me to be seen as picking a political side when I've consistently said both sides are right in some areas and wrong in some areas."

Little known to outsiders, the Strang name carries weight with evangelicals, especially in the fast-growing charismatic and Pentecostal branches. Cameron's father, Steven, who like his son is based in the Orlando, Fla., area, founded a magazine, Charisma, that spawned a publishing empire. The elder Strang has endorsed Republican Sen. John McCain.
    And the DNC includes:

DNC Invites Radical Islamic Speaker to 'Interfaith' Gathering

DENVER, August 24 /Christian Newswire/ -- Kicking off their week of inclusion at the Democratic National Convention, the party will host its first-ever "interfaith gathering" on Sunday afternoon at the Colorado Convention Center. However, among its featured speakers will be Ingrid Mattson, president of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA).

The ISNA is suspected of having ties to radical terrorism organizations worldwide. In fact, the ISNA is an unindicted co-conspirator in the Holy Land Foundation terror funding case. ISNA is also supported by the Muslim Brotherhood, a radical organization that calls on Muslim organizations in America to dedicate themselves to "a kind of grand Jihad in eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and 'sabotaging' its miserable house by their hands ... so that ... God's religion [Islam] is made victorious over all other religions."
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

But Cameron Strang, the 32-year-old editor of edgy and hip Relevant Magazine...

{chuckle}
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    But Cameron Strang, the 32-year-old editor of edgy and hip Relevant Magazine...

{chuckle}

Why does that amuse you?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Why does that amuse you?
    I'm not sure.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Banned
    I'm not sure.
    It's always amusing when old religious institutions try to superimpose their values with youth trends and pop culture in order to 'modernize'.. generally the process robs it of whatever 'edginess' it had in the first place. It's not all that different from when any typical corporation does the same thing to reach a young demographic. Or like when a school brings in some dorky white guy with a backwards baseball cap to a high school assembly to 'rap' about the dangers of drugs... or something.

Last edited by wilbur; 08-28-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    It's always amusing when old religious institutions try to superimpose their values with youth trends and pop culture in order to 'modernize'.. generally the process robs it of whatever 'edginess' it had in the first place. It's not all that different from when any typical corporation does the same thing to reach a young demographic. Or like when a school brings in some dorky white guy with a backwards baseball cap to a high school assembly to 'rap' about the dangers of drugs... or something.
    Actually that is a matter of opinion. "Edginess" is in the eye of the beholder.

C. S. Lewis

I'm not sure.
    Did you realize that amusement rising from unidentified sources is one of the first signs of a psychotic break... or is it after the psychotic break... Well it's one or the other.

C. S. Lewis

Banned
    I am so disappointed that Rev. Wright and Rev Pfleger were not invited to speak at the convention. These two so called pastors could have shown the world how some Democraps feel about religion and America.