1. #1 HHHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! RaTHergate was a Rovian plot! LMAO! 
    Gawd almighty! The disconnect from reality is just unbelievable!

HHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

*cough*

*spit*

HHHHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAA!!!

rfranklin (1000+ posts) Sat Feb-12-11 02:04 PM
    Original message
    Where Karl Rove got the idea for the Dan Rather sting...

If you listen to NPR's This American Life this week, they have a story about autograph expert John Reznikoff, who was conned into selling JFK papers that, among other things, revealed evidence of JFK's affair with Marilyn Monroe. Problem was that the papers were forgeries. One of the ways that Peter Jennings (ABC's 20/20) uncovered the scam was a Selectric typeface that wasn't available until after the date that the document supposedly was written. This scandal erupted in 1997.

Sound familiar?

I can't find anything referring to the Selectric issue on the web, but it is mentioned in the radio show.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org /

Some Question Authenticity of Papers on Bush

By Michael Dobbs and Mike Allen
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Friday, September 10, 2004; Page A01

Documents unearthed by CBS News that raise doubts about whether President Bush fulfilled his obligations to the Texas Air National Guard include several features suggesting that they were generated by a computer or word processor rather than a Vietnam War-era typewriter, experts said yesterday.

Experts consulted by a range of news organizations pointed typographical and formatting questions about four documents as they considered the possibility that they were forged. The widow of the National Guard officer whose signature is on the bottom of the documents also disputed their authenticity.

The documents, which were aired Wednesday night on "60 Minutes II," bear dates from 1972 and 1973 and include an order for Bush to report for his annual physical exam and a discussion of how he could get out of "coming to drill."

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ess=102x815249
    RC (1000+ posts) Sat Feb-12-11 02:16 PM
    Response to Original message
    1. I really hope this comes back and bites somebody - hard.

Dan Rather needs to be vindicated.

But I know it won't. They have too much to hide if things start to unravel.
    Yes, ysx...Dan RaTHer should be "vindicated" for this unbelievably obvious forgery. That's the ticket!
    underpants (1000+ posts) Sat Feb-12-11 02:23 PM
    2. If I remember correctly "Buckhead" posted his incredibly detailed info as the credits were rolling

There is no way that someone knew that level of specifics without prior warning and probably a prepared dossier to post ahead of time.

BTW- that segment on a Wednesday night never aired in Richmond VA because the local channels were doing tornado watches- nasty storms.
    Nonkultur beat you all to it. He knew it immediately.
    FreakinDJ (1000+ posts) Sat Feb-12-11 03:00 PM
    3. Certainly was not done on a Computer

because you can not tell the difference

It would take digital rendering with some special algorithms to detect
    Ummm...did you really think about that before posting? Well, obviously not.
    Vinnie From Indy (1000+ posts) Sat Feb-12-11 03:02 PM
    4. Yeah, Rather got suckered big time!

This was no doubt a set-up and Rather and his producers bit hook, line and sinker. I would offer that their sloppy dilligence removed the Bush AWOL story from the national conversation just as it was designed to do. While this Rovian operation was pulled off brilliantly, Rather does share a great deal of blame for even including these disputed documents. The fact is that there was a great deal of VERIFIABLE, AUTHENTIC information that convicted Smirky of being AWOL. These documents killed all of that!
    HHHHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! It must suck to live in this level of denial, but I bet it sure is a lot of fun!
    starroute (1000+ posts) Sat Feb-12-11 04:27 PM
    5. The typography was absolutely authentic

There were a lot of threads here on the subject -- I participated in many of them.

The typeface matched that of an IBM proportional-spacing typewriter of the period. It did not match any current computer fonts.

There were many small irregularities in the letters that are typical of typewriters -- letters that are not quite on an even baseline, letters that are slightly distorted by the impression on the paper made by the letter before them, things of that sort.

Also, several of the letters had a typed heading that was slightly slanted and off center compared to the body of the letter. That sort of thing comes about when you informally create your own letterhead by typing the heading on one sheet of paper and then making multiple xerox copies.

I don't dispute that Rather was set up by being handed copies (not originals) that could not be authenticated. But the letters themselves were real.
    Tears. Running. Down. My. Face.

Laughing too hard to comment.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

I'd say this is unbelievable but it is entirely believable. So, let me get this straight. The whole forged Bush documents was all created by Rove? Um, ok.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

This is getting tired and, quite frankly, old...

Just like with most everything the Left tried, this hatchet job landed them in the crosshairs...

...and I meant crosshairs...twits
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    sooo...instead of getting pissed at Rather for doing a shitty job and compromising his journalistic integrity (HAHAHHAHA) they coming up with some stupid conspiracy theory about Rove screwing their chance at ousting Bush....what a bunch of fucknuts

It never ceases to amaze me how the Libtards can rail endlessly about how stupid Bush was and conservatives are on one hand, and on the other hand accuse them of masterminding nefarious plots so complex in their design and execution that even Dr. Evil would look on in awe. Freakin' morons.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Yes, well they know that the DITTO Heads at DU are so stupid or else so willing to believe anything that advances their beliefs and biases that they can lie with impunity because the others will not fact check.

The typeface matched that of an IBM proportional-spacing typewriter of the period. It did not match any current computer fonts.

There were many small irregularities in the letters that are typical of typewriters -- letters that are not quite on an even baseline, letters that are slightly distorted by the impression on the paper made by the letter before them, things of that sort.
    You see it time after time over there.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar

:p:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

They've run out of fresh material to feed their BDS so now they're rehashing 7 year old BS?

Their stupidity knows no bounds.

(But you knew that.)