1. #1 "Ten Percent Of China's New Rice Crop Poisoned With Toxic Cadmium." 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Up to 10 per cent of rice grown in China is contaminated with harmful heavy metals stemming from pollution linked to the nation's rapid industrialisation, a report has found.....This week's edition of the New Century magazine cited studies showing that large amounts of Chinese rice have been tainted with heavy metals like cadmium for years but that little has been done to highlight the dangers.

"During China's fast-paced industrialisation, activities such as mining have sprung up everywhere, releasing into the environment chemical elements like cadmium, arsenic, mercury and other harmful heavy metals," the report said...."These harmful heavy metals have spread through the air and water, polluting a rather large area of China's land... a complete chain of food contamination has existed for years."

The report cited academic studies since 2007 focussing on several rural villages in southern China near mines and industrial areas where health problems such as bone diseases have emerged, mostly among the elderly.
    Of the major grains, rice has the strongest tendency to absorb cadmium, which often seeps into water used for irrigation near mines, especially lead, tin and copper mines, the report said.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/821...-metals-report

Banned
    I worked in a contaminated building that had cadmium and other crud coming out of the air conditioning system. Cadmium is some bad shit which can cause liver and kidney damage. We have a class action suit against the state and the contractor who leased the building. They knew about it for years before the duct system was cleaned. I had sinus surgery and took shots for 2 years. After leaving that building my sinus infections and headaches became fewer and fewer.

I do not buy Chinese food products especially meat or fish from Walleymart. I rarely see Chinese crawfish here cause it was determined they were pond raise in toxic waters. Plus, they are chewy and do not have the same taste. Louisiana has some of the best rice in the world; so, rice coming from another country would not interest me.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 02-16-2011 at 02:55 AM.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I worked in a contaminated building that had cadmium and other crud coming out of the air conditioning system. Cadmium is some bad shit which can cause liver and kidney damage. We have a class action suit against the state and the contractor who leased the building. They knew about it for years before the duct system was cleaned. I had sinus surgery and took shots for 2 years. After leaving that building my sinus infections and headaches became fewer and fewer.

I do not buy Chinese food products especially meat or fish from Walleymart. I rarely see Chinese crawfish here cause it was determined they were pond raise in toxic waters. Plus, they are chewy and do not have the same taste. Louisiana has some of the best rice in the world; so, rice coming from another country would not interest me.
    Most foodstuffs coming from China have slowed to a trickle.San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf imported Chinese frozen shrimp by the ship load have stopped importing it .Cheap Chinese garlic once available in the supermarket produce sections have all but disappeared.Even local Chinese owned food warehouses have started selling fresh Louisiana shrimp .I also refuse to eat Chinese sea food because of contamination fears.

All this does not surprise me. I have little trust for the Chinese with respect to their internal regulation of safety and foodstuff.
    China will eventually self-destruct because of their aggressive grow-at-all-costs approach to management of their country.
    There will be a disaster..................dunno what it'll be but something will happen.

Sort of reminds me of trying to explain to my kids why they should not run with a bad crowd. Play with shit, you're gonna get some on you.

What, take away that rich Cadmium flavor!:mad:
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post

Cadmium is used in nuclear reactor rods. I know that because I wrote a report on it in 8th grade. That's about all I remember about it. I worked in a building once in which the owner never cleaned the a/c vents out, and every spring, they would eject mold through the vents and everyone would get the weirdest ailments-one of my supervisors had an ulcerated cornea, we all had ear and sinus infections, and there was just the smell of it in the early spring. Plus, the building was infested by rats and roaches.

We left that building in 1998, and it was finally torn down a couple of years ago.

Louisiana rice is the best, though. There are several brands available around here, including the mixes for jambalaya and such.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Louisiana rice is the best, though. There are several brands available around here, including the mixes for jambalaya and such.
    Konriko mfg's a wild pecan long grain brown rice that is only grown in Louisiana. It has a distinct nutty taste like no other rice you have ever eaten. You can order it on the Internet at around 4 bucks a box. It is great.