Thread: Berkeley Rejects Code Pink's Gitmo Homes

1. #1 Berkeley Rejects Code Pink's Gitmo Homes 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Berkeley Votes Against Offering Gitmo Detainees a New Home

February 16, 2011 | FoxNews.com

A Berkeley, Calif. resolution to roll out the welcome mat to freed Guantanamo Bay detainees was voted down in the last minutes of its City Council meeting Tuesday night.

The proposal was rejected by a 4-1 vote, with four council members abstaining.

The city, home to the hippie movement of the 1960s, was considering inviting “one or two” detainees to live in Berkeley once they were cleared of wrongdoing and released from the U.S. detention facility in Cuba.

The resolution also would have asked Congress to allow cleared Guantanamo detainees to resettle in the U.S…

At least two other U.S. cities, including Amherst, Mass., have approved similar resolutions

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1E4h2SpkQ

Take note it doesn't mention who brought this forward, but this older one does.

Berkeley City Council to Vote Today to Resettle Cleared Guantánamo Detainees in Berkeley

From Cynthia Papermaster, Code Pink
    Tuesday February 15, 2011

Guantánamo detainees would be able to resettle in Berkeley, according to a resolution to be considered today by the Berkeley City Council.

The Resolution asks Congress to remove any legislative barriers to resettling cleared Guantánamo detainees in the U.S. and welcomes one or two of the detainees to live in Berkeley once they’re able to leave Guantánamo. Berkeley will become the third municipality in the United States and the first in California to do so. No city funds would be used to support the former detainees, who would be sponsored by community volunteers and organizations that help torture victims and refugees.

"I’d offer a room in my house to one of the men," said Cynthia Papermaster, Berkeley resident and who heads Berkeley No More Guantanamos. She asked the Berkeley Peace and Justice Commission to bring the measure to the Council. The commission did so on December 6…

Papermaster [said], “It is past time these men were given their freedom and allowed to rebuild their lives. This is a humane gesture and the least we can do to lessen their suffering… I’m going to offer a room in my house to one of the men."

http://tinyurl.com/5uyb7w2

Does this qualify as Code Pink Dating service?
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    Berkeley isn't quite ready to commit total and irrevocable societal suicide just yet, heh?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    Berkeley isn't quite ready to commit total and irrevocable societal suicide just yet, heh?
    Too bad.

I think I'd rather have a former Gitmo detainee who has been cleared as my neighbor than the members of Code Pink.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I think I'd rather have a former Gitmo detainee who has been cleared as my neighbor than the members of Code Pink.
    You'd prefer the battlefield be in your front yard?

Do you not realize where a lot of these "freed and cleared" Gitmo detainees end up again?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    You'd prefer the battlefield be in your front yard?

Do you not realize where a lot of these "freed and cleared" Gitmo detainees end up again?

They are probably still quieter than the Code Pink women.

I was being sarcastic.

Banned
    In Florda. Out smacking around Useful Idiots
    Too bad. If the detainees were moved to Berzerkly then all the liberal fools and assorted Useful Idiots that reside there might get a first hand taste of what radical Muslims really want.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    maybe they should build a wall and moat around Berkely and throw in all the Gitmo Detainees along with Code Pink and anyother libtard peaceniks out there....see how long the libtrads last

torture victims and refugees
    I feel so bad for them. Can I take one in? I would make waterboarding fun compared to what I would have planned for them..