Thread: iPads replacing restaurant menus, staff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I bet it bombs...as much as it's a nice gizmo, having human interaction is something that most people look for when they go to a restaurant, besides this isn't going to get ride of anyone, just paper menus. You still need someone to serve the food and make it.
    I never go out to a restaurant to chit chat with the servers - I chit chat with my friends and husband. More and more restaurants are already breaking down the server functions. It's not unusual at all for the server to take your order but some other person to deliver the food and take care of the drinks. Even then, a lot of people don't have much of a problem picking up their own food in a budget or family restaurant. It's much faster that way.

People under 30 are especially ready to jettison social interaction in retail and food service. For a really large number of people, the ideal shopping and meal experience means never having to interact with a random live employee. They're happy to be out and about with their RL friends but they don't have any interest in accommodating paid employees if there's another option.

I don't think the old school model of food service will collapse over this innovation but I bet that it occupies a big chunk of the industry in 10 or 12 years time.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I never go out to a restaurant to chit chat with the servers - I chit chat with my friends and husband. More and more restaurants are already breaking down the server functions. It's not unusual at all for the server to take your order but some other person to deliver the food and take care of the drinks. Even then, a lot of people don't have much of a problem picking up their own food in a budget or family restaurant. It's much faster that way.

People under 30 are especially ready to jettison social interaction in retail and food service. For a really large number of people, the ideal shopping and meal experience means never having to interact with a random live employee. They're happy to be out and about with their RL friends but they don't have any interest in accommodating paid employees if there's another option.

I don't think the old school model of food service will collapse over this innovation but I bet that it occupies a big chunk of the industry in 10 or 12 years time.
    I'm not talking about "chit chatting" with the server, but having someone coming over and making sure you get your drinks refilled, that the food is to your liking, etc...

getting rid of paper menus I get, but it's not going to get rid of the labor associated with it

I'm under 30 and very much into Tech...

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I'm not talking about "chit chatting" with the server, but having someone coming over and making sure you get your drinks refilled, that the food is to your liking, etc...

getting rid of paper menus I get, but it's not going to get rid of the labor associated with it

I'm under 30 and very much into Tech...
    We'll have to agree to disagree. Much lower paid workers already deliver food and fill up drinks in a lot of places and a lot of places already have customers pick up their own orders and get their own drinks. I see it as big growth sector; especially if the chains offer better/different food from the usual sandwich-and-drink fast food offerings.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Much lower paid workers already deliver food and fill up drinks in a lot of places and a lot of places already have customers pick up their own orders and get their own drinks. I see it as big growth sector; especially if the chains offer better/different food from the usual sandwich-and-drink fast food offerings.
    Ghengis Grille (sp?) has you pick your food and give it to the cook. A really interesting place that I frequent (about once a month). But as a model for all resturants, no. I like the traditional set up too much to move completely to the "self-service" way of dining out.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Labor is awfully cheap at the restaurant level, Ginger.
    Even so, I worked at an exclusive club where the members wrote their own orders. I have no idea how the practice got started, but all the waiters had to do was pick up the checks, and bring the orders. It cut down on the chit chat, which I think may have been the original plan.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    maybe, but they work for some people but most people go out to eat don't want to do anything more than order and talk with whoever they are with, unless they are going to a buffet or fast food, most expect good service even at little hole in the wall dinners