1. #1 No Deal for Albert Pujols/Cardinals as deadline passes 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    The deadline for first baseman Albert Pujols and the St. Louis Cardinals to reach a new contract agreement passed Wednesday with no new deal. The Cardinals say no more talks will be held until the end of the season.

Pujols, a nine-time All-Star, is eligible for free agency after the World Series, raising the possibility the three-time NL MVP may be on the cusp of his final season in St. Louis. The two sides have not exchanged contract proposals in about four days, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, who first reported that talks had broken off. "While we are disappointed that we did not reach an agreement, we remain hopeful that Albert will finish his career in St. Louis," Cardinals chairman William DeWitt Jr. said in a statement.

The Cardinals said they made a "substantial, long-term offer," to no avail.

-snip-

A source close to the negotiations told ESPN's Karl Ravech the biggest issue is not the number of years, but the amount of money the Cardinals offered. St. Louis' offer would place Pujols in baseball's top 10 in salary, but not in the top five in average annual salary, the source said.

Sources have previously told Olney that Pujols, who has the right to veto any trade, will not accept any trade going forward.

LINK
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    The deadline for first baseman Albert Pujols and the St. Louis Cardinals to reach a new contract agreement passed Wednesday with no new deal. The Cardinals say no more talks will be held until the end of the season.

Pujols, a nine-time All-Star, is eligible for free agency after the World Series, raising the possibility the three-time NL MVP may be on the cusp of his final season in St. Louis. The two sides have not exchanged contract proposals in about four days, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, who first reported that talks had broken off. "While we are disappointed that we did not reach an agreement, we remain hopeful that Albert will finish his career in St. Louis," Cardinals chairman William DeWitt Jr. said in a statement.

The Cardinals said they made a "substantial, long-term offer," to no avail.

-snip-

A source close to the negotiations told ESPN's Karl Ravech the biggest issue is not the number of years, but the amount of money the Cardinals offered. St. Louis' offer would place Pujols in baseball's top 10 in salary, but not in the top five in average annual salary, the source said.

Sources have previously told Olney that Pujols, who has the right to veto any trade, will not accept any trade going forward.

LINK

Trade him to the phillies :)

I think he might accept a trade if it were to the phills ;)

I'd trade him for Howard(a St. Louis native) straight up.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

No, not Albert!! He's one of my favorite players for my favorite team. The Cards have been stupid with Albert and have gotten him for a bargain price. They expect him to stay loyal to St Louis, which is one of the strongest baseball cities in the country. Probably Albert has the macho pride thing going, wants to make as much as lesser stars.

He's a good guy, has done a lot for the St Louis community. He has a child with Down's Syndrome and has contributed to various local charities associated with D's S.

I read in the local paper that they supposedly were putting off negotiations with Pujols til after the Medal of Freedom was awarded to Stan the Man Musial in Washington DC. Stan is 90 years old now and still a wonderful guy. I was really pissed that the local rag here had pics of Warren Buffet, the poet Maya Angelou (sp) and others, but no pics and scant mention of Musial. :mad:

I believe one of the owners, Bill DeWitt, travelled with Pujols to the ceremony.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Thanks, Ralph. Poor old Stan is looking more frail. I'm glad they did this now. I've met him about 3 times, and he is a delight. He carries his harmonica in his pocket and still whips it out to play. He has always been a true gentleman and a remarkable baseball legend.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

GO CARDS

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I'd trade him for Howard(a St. Louis native) straight up.
    I'd trade him for 5 Howards, and that's not a knock against Howard.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

I talked to an ex-customer and good friend with the STL Police Department today who is one of the most enthusiastic Cards fan I've ever met. He said the anxiety is riding high in STL. No one wants Pujols to leave. I hope Cards management do what they must do to keep Pujols where he belongs----in St Louis.

"

GO CARDS