Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Should public employee unions in Wisconsin call a General Strike? 
    link

coalition_unwilling (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Wed Feb-16-11 05:24 PM
    Original message

Edited on Wed Feb-16-11 05:26 PM by coalition_unwilling
    Since Wisconsin Governor Walker has thrown down the gauntlet and threatened to call out the state National Guard to suppress any strikes by public employee unions, the discussion should now shift to the advisability of a general strike by all Wisconsin public employees covered by collective bargaining agreements, in my opinion.

What are the arguments for and against a general strike by public sector employees? And what is your opinion about whether a general strike should be on the table at this point?

Edited for typo
    Yes, I hope they do.

Union membership in WI in 2009 was 15.2%. The other 85 % of the people are not going to take kindly to unions demanding more when unemployment is up, social services are being cut and there is a huge budget shortfall. People are already hurting, unions striking and making life more difficult will not endear them to unions or Democrats who are protesting EVERY possible way to cut the budget except raising taxes.

http://www.bls.gov/ro5/unionwi.pdf

Vincardog Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Wed Feb-16-11 05:39 PM
    Response to Original message
    3. Tell Walker to stop the shit or STRIKE TOMORROW. Start with the National guard
    Vincardog Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Wed Feb-16-11 05:55 PM
    Response to Reply #4
    5. Evey member of the military has the moral and legal responsibility to refuse illegal orders.

That includes firing of peaceful demonstrators and or strikers

The alternative to these cuts are 12,000 lay offs. God these people are retarded.

I brought this up to a friend of mine who was complaining about it on Facebook. She never responded.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

If they are civil service, they cannot strike.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    The alternative to these cuts are 12,000 lay offs. God these people are retarded.

I brought this up to a friend of mine who was complaining about it on Facebook. She never responded.
    it's 6,000 but still a valid point, I posted a bunch of link in the GD forum and my $.02 on it

also it's a load of shit, Walker hasn't said anything about using the NG on strikers, he has suggested using them in the Prisons if they go on strike. Bunch of fucking liars is what they are

And then the people of wisconsin should come back and outlaw these unions and fire anyone who gives them shit.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    yes. And then the Governor should do a lot of job abolishing and hire new employees to replace ALL of these.

there are a lot of Conservatives that work for the State and many are applauding the move as they are tired of paying for a union they hate. it's tough love, but the Union's have given no alternatives. fire every teacher that hasn't shown a valid reason for being off yesterday across the state.

I have a lot of friends and acquaintances from HS that support the Union's stupid positions, I've had a debate with one on this...his position didn't make any sense

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    If they are civil service, they cannot strike.

That's how it works here, too. If we go on strike, the state can replace us with recent college grads for half the price, so it's kind of stupid to go on strike.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    there are a lot of Conservatives that work for the State and many are applauding the move as they are tired of paying for a union they hate. it's tough love, but the Union's have given no alternatives. fire every teacher that hasn't shown a valid reason for being off yesterday across the state.

I have a lot of friends and acquaintances from HS that support the Union's stupid positions, I've had a debate with one on this...his position didn't make any sense
    If that is too harsh, give them the chance to make that day up. July 6th would be a good day to do that. :D