Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Price of Silver is Booming 
    Banned
    Silver is up almost 3% today to a record 30 year high of $31.80. I bought most of mine when it was around $16 per ounce. Hope the pundits are correct in their prediction that it will go up to fifty bucks this year. Palladium is another metal that has taken off like a rocket gaining almost a 100% in the last year. With inflation starting to rise and Uncle Ben shooting money out of his helicopter, I see the commodity market (metals, energy and agriculture products) going up and up.

Fabulous Poster
    I see Jesus on the walls of Mexican subway stations.

Banned
    This thread was directed at those that may have an interest in either accumulating or investing in commodities or who enjoy keeping up with financial affairs in the market place. I assume that leaves a poor, poor, asshole like you out.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    This thread was directed at those that may have an interest in either accumulating or investing in commodities or who enjoy keeping up with financial affairs in the market place. I assume that leaves a poor, poor, asshole like you out.
    I bet his stocks in amil nitrate are just soaring. ;):D

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Why do you hate Jesus?

Does silver have the same level of utility it did before digital photography?

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Twilight probably increases demand.

Banned
    Silver's usages include imaging, electronics, coins, water purification, jewelry, etc. Unlike gold it is used up and the demand looks like it is outstripping production.

As demand for silver in the photography industry falls, the electronics industry is picking up the slack using silver in lead free solders. The rise in the price of silver is more due to the increase in the supply of dollars than an increase in demand for silver. Though I can't say for certain that demand has remained constant over the past year. However, the value of commodities like gold, silver, and oil change as the scarcity of the commodity changes. The dollars that stack up against them change with the buying power of the paper currency.

If silver went from $16 a year ago to $32 this year, it won't be long until the $32 dollars will only buy what the $16 could last year.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    As demand for silver in the photography industry falls, the electronics industry is picking up the slack using silver in lead free solders. The rise in the price of silver is more due to the increase in the supply of dollars than an increase in demand for silver. Though I can't say for certain that demand has remained constant over the past year. However, the value of commodities like gold, silver, and oil change as the scarcity of the commodity changes. The dollars that stack up against them change with the buying power of the paper currency.

If silver went from $16 a year ago to $32 this year, it won't be long until the $32 dollars will only buy what the $16 could last year.
    The rise in the price of silver, gold and other commodities is partially due to the the falling dollar but most investors think and rightly so that the dollar will continue on its downward spiral. Investors that make a paltry sum on CDs or M.M. accounts are on the short end of the stick. Therefore, many have started investing in commodities as a hedge against inflation.

The silver that I bought a year ago at $16 that is worth $$32 today will go further up in value if inflation gets out of control. If not, I will sell at a tidy profit.