1. #1 Arrest made in Toomer's Corner incident 
    Arrest made in Toomer's Corner incidentAUBURN, Ala. -- The man allegedly responsible for poisoning the live oaks at Toomer's Corner where Auburn fans have long celebrated big wins has been arrested and charged.

Auburn Police Chief Tommy Dawson said Harvey Almorn Updyke Jr., 62, of Dadeville, Ala., was arrested at the police station at 1:26 a.m. Thursday and was charged with one count of first-degree criminal mischief.

He admitted to making two calls claiming knowledge of the poisoning but later denied actually poisoning the trees, according to court documents.

Dawson said Updyke arrived at the jail without an attorney and could face other charges.

"This person obviously has problems to do something like this," Dawson said at a news conference outside the administration building. Dozens of students and fans attended the news conference as the Auburn community mourns the apparently imminent demise of the trees.

Bond was set at $50,000. If convicted, Updyke could face one to 10 years in prison. His court-appointed attorney, Philip Tyler, filed a motion to withdraw as Updyke's representative, citing his former job as a part-time Auburn professor and "numerous" family and personal ties.

Calls to Tyler were not immediately returned.

A man calling himself "Al from Dadeville" phoned a radio show late last month, claiming he poured herbicide around the 130-year-old oaks that are the scene of celebrations after Auburn's sports victories. The caller signed off by saying, "Roll damn Tide."http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6131518

For those who don't know, Toomre's Corner is a pretty big deal at Auburn.
    Last edited by Rebel Yell; 02-18-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

This has to be the most retarded thing I've heard in a long time.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    This has to be the most retarded thing I've heard in a long time.
    That's how they do it in Alabama. You think racism is a problem, Let a Bama grad's daughter bring home an Auburn student.:eek:

I hope this guy gets the maximum punishment. I'm no tree hugger, but you have to respect anything that's 130 yeard old.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    That's how they do it in Alabama. You think racism is a problem, Let a Bama grad's daughter bring home an Auburn student.:eek:

I hope this guy gets the maximum punishment. I'm no tree hugger, but you have to respect anything that's 130 yeard old.
    Even Helen Thomas?
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    Even Helen Thomas?
    She looks like a 130 year old tree.

This story has a special place for me.
    I was raised in Auburn. And when you grow up in Auburn in the 50s and 60s you grow up on campus. College was the only thing in Auburn at that time.
    I remember making out with a high school girl friend in front of those trees; it was between quarters, so the town was about abandoned. Summer nights seemed a lot longer back then.
    Toomers Drugs had an honest-to-God "Happy Days" soda fountain. Toomers Drugs still stands. New owners.
    Ah, well.... there are nit wits everywhere, it seems.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Shame about the trees. I love live oaks and those look beautiful.

This is just stupid. I hope the guy spends jail time.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!