1. #1 Is It Possible to Make Dangerous Reporting Safe? 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    — Is It Possible to Make Dangerous Reporting Safe?Michael Kelly was killed in a Humvee accident in Iraq.... Bob Woodruff was blown up by an I.E.D. Damn near every reporter covering the Egyptian revolution was assaulted one way or another, including Lara Logan, in the most awful possible way.... Hundreds of reporters around the world are attacked every year on the job. Is that a necessity?

The Lara Logan story was shocking enough that this conversation is inevitable. First, we'll hear the questions of blame: Did CBS do enough to protect her? Did she do enough to protect herself? Who was responsible for her safety? Who's the culprit?

Reporting, in certain situations—wars, revolutions, assorted uprisings of all types—is an inherently dangerous business. To the extent that we mitigate that danger, we often mitigate the value of the reporting, as well.

Embedding journalists with a battalion of Marines is safer for the journalists themselves than roaming free; it also severely limits the scope of their reporting, and tends to encourage a sort of Stockholm Syndrome that's not conducive to free and independent journalism..... Likewise, covering a revolution from a hotel balcony, or covering the Iraq War exclusively from inside the Green Zone, means being willing to leave unknown such a large part of the story that your entire justification for being there is thrown into question.

http://gawker.com/#!5762351/is-it-po...reporting-safe

Sonnabend
    It must be terrible for them, bulletins flying, paper cuts, hangovers from the mini bars, headaches from trying to write their next lies from their five star hotel...I'd refer to the press as jackals, but that would be insulting every jackal that ever lived.

It not even safe for those of us that know more about how to handle ourselves in these kinds of situations.

It's the risk they take to get the story that needs to be told.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Sonnabend
    Needs to be fabricated, embellished, twisted, distorted, exaggerated.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    It must be terrible for them, bulletins flying, paper cuts, hangovers from the mini bars, headaches from trying to write their next lies from their five star hotel...I'd refer to the press as jackals, but that would be insulting every jackal that ever lived.
    There are exceptions (Michael Yon, Michael Kelly) that prove the rule, but as a group, journalists are lower than whale crap. I'd say that any journalist in a war zone who is not embedded with US troops has forfeited our protection. A reporter who embeds with an enemy unit is under their protection, and therefore has made himself into a target.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!