Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Every person that has taken a drink of water has contracted cancer. Hmmm, water is the obvious cause of cancer. There can be no other explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    You're kicking at open doors now. Scientists believe that the snowy winters we've been experiencing are related to the decrease in Arctic sea ice.

Information:

http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/reportcard/atmosphere.html

Graphics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h32TTmd7HjQ

No 'tipping point' for Arctic sea ice - latest science
    Alert Print Retweet Facebook
    Polar cap would be back 2 yrs after an ice-free summer
    By Lewis Page • Get more from this author

Posted in Environment, 10th February 2011 11:24 GMT
    Free whitepaper – The Register Guide to Enterprise Virtualization
    OK, so the floating Arctic ice cap appears to be shrinking. Catastrophe if it goes on, right? As white ice reflects heat into space, past a certain point more and more heat will not be reflected, more and more ice will melt. Past such a "tipping point", the ice cap would never recover - it would vanish completely, taking with it the ice cover of Greenland which would cause huge rises in sea levels and Biblical flooding worldwide.

Not so much, according to the latest research by German climate scientists. It seems that even in the case of a completely ice-free summer with the sun shining down onto an unprotected Arctic Ocean 24 hours a day (as it does in summer time up there), the heat absorbed by the sea would not be enough to permanently remove the ice cap. It would recover, in fact, within two years: there is no tipping point.

According to Steffen Tietsche, a polar ice expert at the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology in Hamburg, this is because removal of ice works two ways. It lets the sun's rays warm the ocean beneath more strongly, but it also lets heat escape from the sea more easily. Thus, following an ice-free summer the Arctic will shed the extra heat fast due to the lack of its usual igloo-like ice blanket. Soon it will be so cold that the ice will reappear.

Tietsche and his colleagues write:

We examine the recovery of Arctic sea ice from prescribed ice-free summer conditions in simulations of 21st century climate in an atmosphere–ocean general circulation model. We find that ice extent recovers typically within two years.
    The excess oceanic heat that had built up during the ice-free summer is rapidly returned to the atmosphere during the following autumn and winter, and then leaves the Arctic partly through increased longwave emission at the top of the atmosphere and partly through reduced atmospheric heat advection from lower latitudes. Oceanic heat transport does not contribute significantly to the loss of the excess heat.

Our results suggest that anomalous loss of Arctic sea ice during a single summer is reversible, as the ice–albedo feedback is alleviated by large-scale recovery mechanisms. Hence, hysteretic threshold behavior (or a “tipping point”) is unlikely to occur during the decline of Arctic summer sea-ice cover in the 21st century.

Details of the full paper in Geophysical Research Letters can be read here.

So the gradual decline in ice extent seen in recent decades may continue, but even if a very hot summer seriously eats away at the sea ice - even so much as to completely melt it all - it will recover; there will be no sudden disaster this century.

Meanwhile down at the south pole the sea ice around Antarctica is actually increasing. The ice there has been covering another 100,000 square km more sea each decade for the last 30 years, despite the well-publicised losses of ice shelf in the Western Antarctic.
    Link

I guess Heir Tietsche doesn't have a boat payment due.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

We don't have proof that rising sea levels are attributable to global warming but that conclusion is likely given the correlation. I mean, if global warming isn't causing sea levels to rise, what is?

http://www.grida.no/publications/oth...ar/wg1/409.htm
    See, you make it way too easy...

You and your power-mad Chicken Littles don't have squat in terms of facts, data or history to back up a single claim that MAN has anything to do with climate change.

I've asked two of your brethern here to provide me with historical records of climate patterns... guess what, I was ignored. Can you provide me with the data that I'm seeking....HMMMMM?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    You mean like the fact that the polar bear hysteria has been proven totally false, and yet the WWF keeps running celebrity ads pumping the GW-caused demise of polar bears as fact?

How about the bullshit about the Maldives sinking?

How about Naomi Klein being accidentally candid after Copenhagen and whining about the failure of the meeting to accomplish it's true goal: "social justice" and payment of 800 billion dollars to "developing nations which have been devastated by the United States and other industrial nations."

Don't snort sunshine up your nose.
    For starters, Vince McMahon has nothing to do with polar bears. Also, if an island nation is sinking, then it's due to unstable land and not due to rising water levels, right? Hey you said sinking, no changing your wording now. Know how I know the difference? Because if I took a bowl of water, and put a rock in it, it will sink to the bottom. It sank not because of rising water tables. It sank because it's a rock in water.
    Progressivism is a bottomless pit of absurdity.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    See, you make it way too easy...

You and your power-mad Chicken Littles don't have squat in terms of facts, data or history to back up a single claim that MAN has anything to do with climate change.

I've asked two of your brethern here to provide me with historical records of climate patterns... guess what, I was ignored. Can you provide me with the data that I'm seeking....HMMMMM?
    It amazes me how gullible some people can be when something they want to believe is challenged with solid evidence.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    It amazes me how gullible some people can be when something they want to believe is challenged with solid evidence.
    I know EXACTLY where you're coming from, just don't call them on their hypocrisy...;)
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Sonnabend
    We don't have proof that rising sea levels are attributable to global warming
    And BANG goes any credibility. You don't know and are blaming it on something you havr no proof of whatsoever.

but that conclusion is likely given the correlation. I mean, if global warming isn't causing sea levels to rise, what is?
    The atolls of the Maldives are formed from coral structures, and in fact are by nature inherently unstable, the fact that there are several fault lines in the area, the fact that there have been several seaquakes in recent years (The Sumatra one in 2004 for example,.and there is no proof that any "global warming" causes earthquakes either, just a shitload of wild assed guess based on models that bear no resemblance to reality.)

Islands in the oceans, ESPECIALLY the Pacific (and I live in the Pacific Rim so I know more than you do) rise and sink frequently. They built on a rickety foundation and the place is in all likelihood ready to go back under the ocean where it came from.

Erosion of the island by sea activity is a likely cause..it's a set of coral atolls in the middle of a bloody big ocean. Of course it's unstable.
    In the end, there is no way to accurately measure the cause and effect of small islands ending up in the ocean. Not only do sea levels regularly change, but islands can also rise and sink separately from the ocean. There are also arguments about if the increased water levels are due to global climate change or natural variations in the climate. No matter who or what is to blame, though, island nations that are sinking are being forced to find solutions – because there is not yet a way to simply stop the rise and fall of an island in the ocean.
    So Owl, what you have is panic mongering based on bullshit data which has been well and truly debunked.

Ask Dr Jones of the CRU for them..oh wait, that's right, he destroyed them along with a load of information to stop it getting into the hands of independent experts. And then lied about it.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 02-26-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Sonnabend
    You're kicking at open doors now. Scientists believe that the snowy winters we've been experiencing are related to the decrease in Arctic sea ice.
    No, they don't.
    After a series of record-setting snowstorms hit the mid-Atlantic region this winter, some people asked NOAA if humans could somehow be to blame. Specifically, they wanted to know if human-induced global warming could have caused the snowstorms due to the fact that a warmer atmosphere holds more water vapor.

The CSI Team’s analysis indicates that’s not likely. They found no evidence — no human “fingerprints” — to implicate our involvement in the snowstorms. If global warming was the culprit, the team would have expected to find a gradual increase in heavy snowstorms in the mid-Atlantic region as temperatures rose during the past century. But historical analysis revealed no such increase in snowfall. Nor did the CSI team find any indication of an upward trend in winter precipitation along the eastern seaboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    No, they don't.

After a series of record-setting snowstorms hit the mid-Atlantic region this winter, some people asked NOAA if humans could somehow be to blame. Specifically, they wanted to know if human-induced global warming could have caused the snowstorms due to the fact that a warmer atmosphere holds more water vapor.

The CSI Team’s analysis indicates that’s not likely. They found no evidence — no human “fingerprints” — to implicate our involvement in the snowstorms. If global warming was the culprit, the team would have expected to find a gradual increase in heavy snowstorms in the mid-Atlantic region as temperatures rose during the past century. But historical analysis revealed no such increase in snowfall. Nor did the CSI team find any indication of an upward trend in winter precipitation along the eastern seaboard.
    As I stated in another thread, there is no evidence connecting global warming to exteme weather. But there is a hypothesized connection and that's why NOAA and other scientific institutions are putting forth a lot of time and effort looking into it.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you putting stock in what NOAA has to say about weather. Now if I can only get you to put stock in what NOAA and other mainstream science outfits have to say about climate change. You won't though. You only agree with science when it agrees with your preconceived notions.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 02-27-2011 at 02:17 PM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    As I stated in another thread, there is no evidence connecting global warming to exteme weather. But there is a hypothesized connection and that's why NOAA and other scientific institutions are putting forth a lot of time and effort looking into it.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you putting stock in what NOAA has to say about weather. Now if I can only get you to put stock in what NOAA has to say about climate change.
    How were services at the global tabernacle this morning?
    "If the Bible is true why don't we have any urns or vessels that like say expires 6/15/300 BC on the bottom?"
    Alexandria Ocasio Cortez