From drugs to mugs: Shocking before and after photos show how drug addiction takes devastating toll on faces of users

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 7:53 PM on 25th February 2011

These shocking before and after images reveal in stark and simple terms the cost drug addiction takes on the human face. 'From Drugs to Mugs' is the follow up to the controversial 2004 'Faces of Meth' release which highlighted the effects of methamphetamine use.

Released in the hope that they will make kids think twice about ever touching drugs the pictures show how addicts have lost teeth and scratched their skin to the bone.

The new photographs show the first arrest of a drug user partnered up with a picture taken in some cases only three months later.

They have been put together by the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office in Oregon and now include users of all hard drugs including cocaine, heroin and meth.

'Faces of Meth went round the world, it captured peoples revulsion and imagination,' said deputy Bret King, 45, who was instrumental in putting together the original Faces of Meth project in 2004. 'As I was putting together the project and touring the country trying to highlight the effects of meth on people, I had a nagging feeling that I knew I wasn't bringing the whole picture to people's attention.

'Every single person I booked and interviewed who was not just a meth addict but a heroin user or a coke-head had started on some seemingly innocent drug like alcohol or cannabis.

'Everyone experiments at college or school and I want From Drugs to Mugs to show kids that everyone in those pictures started on cannabis, they didn't just dive head first into heroin.

'So I ask the students at schools to look at these people and think about their actions, otherwise that could end up being you,' said deputy King.

A video made by the From Drugs to Mugs programme makers is going to be shown in high schools across the U.S. in attempt to dissuade students from trying drugs

A video made by the From Drugs to Mugs programme makers is going to be shown in high schools across the U.S. in attempt to dissuade students from trying drugs
Not sure I buy the reasoning behind the "gateway drug" hype.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1F0KVXSEa