1. #1 Texas State students offer scholarships exclusively for white males 
    Texas State students offer scholarships exclusively for white males

By Patrick George
    AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Published: 7:59 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 24, 2011

SAN MARCOS Colby Bohannan said that when he first applied to college, his family didn't have a huge stockpile of money set aside to pay for school. He found many scholarships for women and minorities, but none aimed at people like him: white men.

"I felt excluded," said Bohannan, a Texas State University student. "If everyone else can find scholarships, why are we left out?"

So Bohannan, a mass communication major and Iraq war veteran, and others formed the Former Majority Association for Equality a San Marcos-based nonprofit group that is offering five $500 scholarships exclusively to white male students.

Bohannan, the group's president, said the name comes from the idea that "if you're not a male, and if you're not white, you're called a minority." However, he said, "I'm not sure white males are the majority anymore."

Recent U.S. census data indicate Bohannan is right, at least in Texas, where Hispanics accounted for two-thirds of the population growth over the past decade and where non-Hispanic whites now make up about 45 percent of residents.

The 501(c)3 nonprofit was formally incorporated with the state in March. The group hasn't received any applications, Bohannan said.

A search of public records indicates Bohannan pleaded no contest to charges of theft of property of less than $500 in 2001 and of issuance of a bad check in 2003. William Lake , the group's treasurer, pleaded no contest to issuance of a bad check in 2008.

Bohannan said he was charged with theft after authorities found a county speed limit sign in his Texas State dorm room and with writing a bad check for groceries, also while in college. Lake said he was charged with writing a bad check while managing a now-defunct business he started. Both said the charges have been disposed of.

Bohannan said the group is raising money as of Monday , the group had raised $485, according to its website and that he hopes to award scholarships by July 4. The money can be used to go to any college, not just Texas State, Bohannan said.
    Sadly, you only to be 25% white to qualify so that makes the gesture pretty meaningless. A substantial number of self-identified blacks looking for scholarships are really biracial. Still, it's a fascinating exercise.

Statesman

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Sadly, you only to be 25% white to qualify so that makes the gesture pretty meaningless. A substantial number of self-identified blacks looking for scholarships are really biracial. Still, it's a fascinating exercise.
    I think that part is actually pretty clever. We're talking about chump change scholarships here, so clearly the point is political. Since as you pointed out, a person who is part black can identify as black for such purposes, then he should also be able to identify as white. It draws attention to the fact that at some point what race or ethnicity we are is a matter of opinion.

My mother and my nephews are big on claiming their Scots identity. I personally, don't care but tend to think of myself as English and Scots, or just English. Why people are in love with the loser, I will never understand. I would not, however, describe myself as Norwegian, Danish, German, French, Spanish, or Arabic even though like most Anglos all of those are in my ancestry.

The reparations crowd can't answer the question of whether President Obama would pay reparations to Michelle Obama, so they just accuse you of racism for asking. But it gets back to the central issue, identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I think that part is actually pretty clever. We're talking about chump change scholarships here, so clearly the point is political. Since as you pointed out, a person who is part black can identify as black for such purposes, then he should also be able to identify as white. It draws attention to the fact that at some point what race or ethnicity we are is a matter of opinion.

My mother and my nephews are big on claiming their Scots identity. I personally, don't care but tend to think of myself as English and Scots, or just English. Why people are in love with the loser, I will never understand. I would not, however, describe myself as Norwegian, Danish, German, French, Spanish, or Arabic even though like most Anglos all of those are in my ancestry.

The reparations crowd can't answer the question of whether President Obama would pay reparations to Michelle Obama, so they just accuse you of racism for asking. But it gets back to the central issue, identity.
    We need to get behind our Creole destiny and slap the objectors silly until they shut up. Most of those objectors won't qualify for the DAR.

Bout time. Everyone gets scholarships but them.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.