Thread: 'Syria and Iran to Cooperate on Naval Training'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1 'Syria and Iran to Cooperate on Naval Training' 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Iran and Syria have agreed to cooperate on naval training, Iran's official news agency said on Saturday, Reuters reported. "The two parties will cooperate with each other in training issues and the exchange of personnel," IRNA quoted the agreement, signed by the commanders of both navies, as saying, according to the report..... The agreement came days after two Iranian warships the Khark, which has 250 crew members and can carry three helicopters, and the Alvand, which is armed with torpedoes and anti-ship missiles arrived at Syria's Latakia seaport on Thursday, sailing through the Suez Canal and into the

    Comments:
    Does this mean that there will be ships from Iran permanently based in the Med now? Count on it. The better to coordinate the attack on Israel and smuggle rockets to Hamas and Hezbollah.

    " Israel needs more submarines .How about a few los Angeles class 688's loaded with cruise missiles and Mk 48's ?"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,269
    Bluster and more saber rattling from the Land of Goons.

    The last time the Iranian Navy challenged the U.S. Navy there was a quick decision. Those Iranians who did not run for their lives were, as they say, engaged. That was Operation Praying Mantis in 1988.

    Worth noting, I think, is that the co-ordinated attack began in earnest only 4 days after a U.S. ship struck a mine, which indicates plans were already in place. I am confident that plans are in place now. Not quite so confident that our Illustrious Leader will do much more than apologize for blowing up the Iranian mine, though.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Praying_Mantis

    Every missile the Iranians fired missed.:)

    One Iranian fighter fled when the U.S fire control radar locked on.:)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    Bluster and more saber rattling from the Land of Goons.

    The last time the Iranian Navy challenged the U.S. Navy there was a quick decision. Those Iranians who did not run for their lives were, as they say, engaged. That was Operation Praying Mantis in 1988.

    Worth noting, I think, is that the co-ordinated attack began in earnest only 4 days after a U.S. ship struck a mine, which indicates plans were already in place. I am confident that plans are in place now. Not quite so confident that our Illustrious Leader will do much more than apologize for blowing up the Iranian mine, though.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Praying_Mantis

    Every missile the Iranians fired missed.:)

    One Iranian fighter fled when the U.S fire control radar locked on.:)
    didn't they try to attack some American ships in the Gulf of Hurmuz a couple years ago
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Zathras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    6,088
    Hopefully the Israeli Air Force and Navy give them a chance to practice their damage control, abandon ship and rescue at sea training as well.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,049
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    didn't they try to attack some American ships in the Gulf of Hurmuz a couple years ago
    They tried playing a game of chicken or two. I think we either put some shots over their bow, or into their bow.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Hopefully the Israeli Air Force and Navy give them a chance to practice their damage control, abandon ship and rescue at sea training as well.
    Much better if they have an accident and hit a torpedo launched by an Israeli submarine.The Mk 48's American heavy torpedo is an awesome weapon !

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwWzF...eature=related

    MK-48 Torpedo ADCAP
    Range:
    Officially "Greater than 5 miles (8 km)"

    Claimed
    40 kt 55 kt
    MK-48 44,550 yd 34,430 yd
    MK-48 ADCAP 54,685 yd 42,530 yd
    Weapon acquisition range 1600 yards
    Min/Max ASROC launching ranges 1500 to 12000 yards
    Speed Officially "Greater than 28 knots (32.2 mph, 51.52 kph)"
    Reportedly - 40 - 55 kt.
    Actual 55 knots
    Depth Officially "Greater than 1,200 ft (365.76 meters)"
    Reportedly 3,000 ft
    Search/attack depth settings Minimum 20 yards
    Maximum 1500 yards
    Run characteristics 6-8 minutes
    downward
    Guidance System Wire guided and passive/active acoustic homing
    Warhead 650 lbs (292.5 kg) high explosive
    Date Deployed 1972
    1988 ADCAP
    Unit Cost $2.5 million
    $3.5 million (?) ADCAP
    ...........................
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,024
    What ship was that?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    What ship was that?
    Former Australian Destroyer Escort Torrens .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ma...do_testing.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    What ship was that?
    Couldn't tell you what ship it was, but none of the ships shown seemed to be underway (moving). Probably towed out to the target area.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    I can understand that Arabs have been a seafaring people for thousands of years and still the idea of an Iranian or Syrian navy seems incongruent. Maybe it's the idea of a calm and profession crew being born of a caricature of that culture which I can't feature. I see a bunch of angry caricatures.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •