Thread: How did you do in February?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 How did you do in February? 
    Many of us in the stock market look at our portfolios daily. I know I do, even though I do not trade very often. I think I sold a couple in February, and bought a couple.

So how did you do? It was a pretty good month for Me and Her, gaining 3.05%. I consider that pretty good especially in light of the fact that I hold a group of issues for dividends that I did not expect to rise. Like EEP, which is a Master Limited Partnership and still went up like gangbusters. And PFF, which is a preferred stock group shelling out 6.7% annually. PFF does better in a weak market, but holds its own when the market is strong. Like February.

Care to share your strategy? And your results?

Power CUer
    I don't calculate month by month, but cumulatively from the beginning of the year. We're up 6% since January 1. The only individual stock I hold in great quantity (i.e., in thousands of shares) is ExxonMobil, since I worked for Mobil for several years. It keeps us balanced; when it's down our other investments are doing well, and when it's way up as it has been this month, our other investments are treading water a bit.

So far I'm very pleased with 2011. In fact, so pleased that I need to change my signature line since it's quite outdated. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    I check out the market daily for prices on gold, silver and palladium. All three have been on a tear the last year. I bought most of my junk silver when it was in the 16 to 20 dollar range. It is at 34 today. So, I have a 100% gain there. Same with palladium (PALL etf) which I sold a few days ago. Gold is my weak sister. My agric. etf (RJA) has been flat the last 2 months.

Doubled downed on Denbury which is an oil company that injects CO2 into old oil wells. It has gone up 40% this year. A great company with plenty of cash. Have boots on the ground at the Delhi field which I have a royalty on.

Yeah, I picked up DNR a week ago. But it's one of the few individual stocks I own. I suppose it'll do well if oil keeps climbing. And I believe oil will, indeed, keep crawling forward.

I haven't got any metal interest, per se, but I do have XME, which is a metal & mining ETF. The smart guys who always talk over my head seem to believe that with the dollars decline, both oil and metals will rise.

MLP's; - Lacarnut & Linda familiar with them?- I noticed that there is now a MLP ETF (Jeez, we talk in acronyms; Master Limited Partnership, Exchange Traded Fund) AMLP. It pays about 25 cents per quarter, sells for about 16$, so that's about 6% dividend. I bought it.

Either one of y'all got a firm strategy? I keep fiddling around with some sort of strategy, but, really, I just watch things, try to buy where there is a decent dividend, and sell the ones that break....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    Yeah, I picked up DNR a week ago. But it's one of the few individual stocks I own. I suppose it'll do well if oil keeps climbing. And I believe oil will, indeed, keep crawling forward.

I haven't got any metal interest, per se, but I do have XME, which is a metal & mining ETF. The smart guys who always talk over my head seem to believe that with the dollars decline, both oil and metals will rise.

MLP's; - Lacarnut & Linda familiar with them?- I noticed that there is now a MLP ETF (Jeez, we talk in acronyms; Master Limited Partnership, Exchange Traded Fund) AMLP. It pays about 25 cents per quarter, sells for about 16$, so that's about 6% dividend. I bought it.

Either one of y'all got a firm strategy? I keep fiddling around with some sort of strategy, but, really, I just watch things, try to buy where there is a decent dividend, and sell the ones that break....
    I think DNR stock will triple in the next couple of years. They have the rights to inject CO2 into wells encompassing thousands of acres in the Delhi field. They have just completed phase 1 out of 10 and are getting 2,000 barrels a day. Spiking all these wells will take around 3 to 4 years for completion. Their break even cost is $40 a barrel so even if the price drops, they will make a killing. The beauty of this type of operation is that there will be no dry holes. The oil is there as only 40 to 60% has been extracted out of these old wells. Denbury has other wells in MS and TX but I am not that familiar with that part of their operation.

Don't know a thing about MLP's. I got hooked on collecting coins after my dad left me his collection. So, my only stragedy is to buy more coins and oil stocks. The dollar is going to pot; inflation will bite us eventually so I am going to stick what has worked the last 2 years.

Power CUer
    Don't know about MLPs. Buy and Hold has been a pretty good strategy over the years. Sell a Little to Buy a Huge Honkin' Diamond has been our most recent strategy. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

MLP's Lemme school ya:)

A Master Limited Partnership is a special arrangement that involves pipeline companies that transport gas or oil, and maybe some other things, too.

Two important points:
    1) They have a special tax consideration with regard to dividend distribution, and you actually become an owner in the company, not a stockholder.

2) They don't buy the oil and gas. They just own the pipeline, and charge to move the stuff around. It's kind of neat because they don't really care what oil costs; they get their money no matter what. Like a toll road.

And evidently this is a very energy hungry country.
    These stocks represent some of the most active MLPs: Buckeye Partners LP (BPL), Enbridge Energy Partners LP (EEP), Enterprise Product Partners LP (EPD), Energy Transfer Partners LP (ETP), Kinder Morgan Energy Partners LP (KMP), Magellan Midstream Partners LP (MMP), Northern Borders Partners LP (OKS), Plains All American Pipeline LP (PAA), TransMontaigne Partners LP (TLP), Valero LP (VLI).
    And then there is the MLP ETF I referred to, AMLP, which buy a whole bunch of MLP's.

MLP's are actually part of something that is new to me, the Publicly Traded Partnership. Here's a website I have been studying.
    http://www.naptp.org/Navigation/PTP101/PTP101_Main.htm
    And I gotta tell you, I am more than happy with EEP, which is the first choice I made.

Maybe there is something there that'll make your life better. I hope so.:)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    MLP's Lemme school ya:)

A Master Limited Partnership is a special arrangement that involves pipeline companies that transport gas or oil, and maybe some other things, too.

Two important points:
    1) They have a special tax consideration with regard to dividend distribution, and you actually become an owner in the company, not a stockholder.

2) They don't buy the oil and gas. They just own the pipeline, and charge to move the stuff around. It's kind of neat because they don't really care what oil costs; they get their money no matter what. Like a toll road.

And evidently this is a very energy hungry country.

And then there is the MLP ETF I referred to, AMLP, which buy a whole bunch of MLP's.

MLP's are actually part of something that is new to me, the Publicly Traded Partnership. Here's a website I have been studying.
    http://www.naptp.org/Navigation/PTP101/PTP101_Main.htm
    And I gotta tell you, I am more than happy with EEP, which is the first choice I made.

Maybe there is something there that'll make your life better. I hope so.:)
    I owned EEP and Valero (a refiner) several years ago. When the market took a dive, I sold everything. Some of the pipeline companies pay good dividends so I will take a look.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 03-01-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Fabulous Poster
    I forgot to pay my January power bill and was shocked when I opened the bill for February. The good news is that I didn't spend it on jelly beans.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I forgot to pay my January power bill and was shocked when I opened the bill for February. The good news is that I didn't spend it on jelly beans.
    Our power company won't let you get behind a month, the would have shut it off after two weeks, the water company is just as bad.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg