Thread: How did you do in February?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FYI, y'all..
    Lacarnut brought DNR to my attention, and I acted on it, so.....

ASYS just announced very strong sales so far in the year (182 mil so far, vs 162 mil for all of 2010), and the stock is in the support area. I already own it.
    TEMPE, Ariz.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Amtech Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:ASYS - News), a global supplier of production and automation systems and related supplies for the manufacture of solar cells, semiconductors, and silicon wafers, today announced that its fiscal 2011 year-to-date solar orders total $182 million, surpassing the $162 million Amtech booked in all of fiscal 2010. The $182 million in solar orders includes $54 million in solar orders received to date in the quarter ending March 31, 2011. Amtech’s fiscal 2011 began October 1, 2010.
    http://http://finance.yahoo.com/news....html?x=0&.v=1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    FYI, y'all..
    Lacarnut brought DNR to my attention, and I acted on it, so.....

ASYS just announced very strong sales so far in the year (182 mil so far, vs 162 mil for all of 2010), and the stock is in the support area. I already own it.

http://http://finance.yahoo.com/news....html?x=0&.v=1
    The problem with solar like all greenie energy is that most of it is heavily subsidized. Most would go out of business if they were not. Additionally, Repubs in the House of Representatives may make deep cuts in those subsidizes. However, I don't know a thing about ASYS. Sales figures sound good.

I got out of the stock market @14,000 DOW and have been on the sidelines ever since in low risk low return cash instruments. Yep I missed the run up from 6500 to where we are now which is a real bummer. Warren Buffet was totally correct about when to jump back in - I should have listened to what he said. Fidelity is leaving messages on my answering machine wanting to talk to me about my 401K portfolio strategy... As in not having one at all from their perspective. :D You can't win them all, but I still have more "dollars" in there than before the collapse which is probably better than most can claim.

I haven't made a decision to change anything because I still believe we are in a sucker rally that will evenutally tank to numbers even lower than two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tecate View Post
    I got out of the stock market @14,000 DOW and have been on the sidelines ever since in low risk low return cash instruments. Yep I missed the run up from 6500 to where we are now which is a real bummer. Warren Buffet was totally correct about when to jump back in - I should have listened to what he said. Fidelity is leaving messages on my answering machine wanting to talk to me about my 401K portfolio strategy... As in not having one at all from their perspective. :D You can't win them all, but I still have more "dollars" in there than before the collapse which is probably better than most can claim.

I haven't made a decision to change anything because I still believe we are in a sucker rally that will evenutally tank to numbers even lower than two years ago.
    Smart man (or woman). I, too sold out in Oct of 2007. I was a little late getting back in, though. In fact, I have just now completed getting back in. I started last Spring.

So far, March kinda sucks. But we have time left. And, besides, I really like my new defensive positions.:) Well, most of 'em.:o

Super Moderator Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar

I think you ARE correct that we are in a suckers rally, but with my stops set as they are, I am still able to take advantage of the temporary gains w/o a big fear of losing much - UNLESS the have such an absolutely huge correction in one day that my stocks cant get sold anywhere near my stop price.

I have also hedged my bets with substantial amounts of gold and silver - as welll as some other commodities - also on a tight leash.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Banned

I had REITs in my 401 for several years and got out before the real estate crash ate up all my profits. That cash position is earning 3.7% guaranteed. Not too bad. My gold and silver positions have been my big money makers. Little bit ahead in my brokerage account. All in all it has been a fantastic 2 years.

I don't think this is a suckers rally, but I do believe that most of the horns are off the bull. May be a little tough slogging ahead from here on out, but if we are lucky and careful we'll be OK.

In other words, the bull may not have any horns. but the bear has no teeth.:)

Super Moderator Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    I don't think this is a suckers rally, but I do believe that most of the horns are off the bull. May be a little tough slogging ahead from here on out, but if we are lucky and careful we'll be OK.

In other words, the bull may not have any horns. but the bear has no teeth.:)

I just caution you. We are in for some very tough times ahead. Keep your investments liquid.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    I just caution you. We are in for some very tough times ahead. Keep your investments liquid.
    I hear you, but what does that really mean?

We own three homes. Two are rented out and all are paid for.
    Obviously, that is a large portion of our net worth and certainly not very liquid. But on the other hand we have no intention of selling anything. Didn't worry about appraised value and all that during the housing panic (still going on in most places) and had no renter turnover.

We have enough cash in insured accounts to last several years and stock/equity investments could sit as they are for 10 years or more if need be.

We're not big on vacations and fluffy stuff. I'm driving the same '90 model GMC shortbed 4X4 that I bought new in 1990. I don't ride my lawnmower; I push it. I have no particular education; never took a single college course and did poorly in high school.

Obviously, I'm sharing some pretty personal information. My purpose in doing so is because it follows the model that most financial counselors encourage their young clients to follow, and perhaps one of those clients will find inspiration in my results. It can all be done, people.

PS: My favorite financial book? "The Richest Man in Babylon"

Banned
    I hear you, but what does that really mean?

We own three homes. Two are rented out and all are paid for.
    Obviously, that is a large portion of our net worth and certainly not very liquid. But on the other hand we have no intention of selling anything. Didn't worry about appraised value and all that during the housing panic (still going on in most places) and had no renter turnover.

We have enough cash in insured accounts to last several years and stock/equity investments could sit as they are for 10 years or more if need be.

We're not big on vacations and fluffy stuff. I'm driving the same '90 model GMC shortbed 4X4 that I bought new in 1990. I don't ride my lawnmower; I push it. I have no particular education; never took a single college course and did poorly in high school.

Obviously, I'm sharing some pretty personal information. My purpose in doing so is because it follows the model that most financial counselors encourage their young clients to follow, and perhaps one of those clients will find inspiration in my results. It can all be done, people.

PS: My favorite financial book? "The Richest Man in Babylon"
    I did not start investing till late in life but I never, ever wanted someone else to manage my money. So, I educated myself to a small degree. I studied the 10 or 12 mutual funds in my 401 for 3 months before I invested my first nickel. I don't understand people that are too lazy to learn about financial investing. It is not really that hard but most people are afraid to try.

I got the coin collecting bug after my dad left me his collection. In 2 years, I have more than doubled what I inherited. I knew that the devaluation of the dollar was inevitable. Sure enough gold/silver and all metals have been better investments than any other class. I look for sure winners like the Kilo silver Panda with a production of only 4k; more than doubled in value in less than a year. I purchased a proof set of silver elephant coins from APMEX yesterday that will increase in value in a short time frame because the production of only 2000 will sell out very soon. Once they are gone the price jumps up. I buy coins from the mint and 2 or 3 reputable dealer rather than the shysters on TV. Doing your homework in investing is not only fun but in most cases profitable.