Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I don't know what "enviro whackjobs" were doing in the 1970s but there is no evidence that scientists during that decade predicted an ice age approaching. But don't take my word for anything. Try finding peer reviewed scientific studies from the 1970s predicting an ice age. You won't find them because they don't exist.
    Well then why did the MSM at the time, spout off in the same manor that they do today about GW then.
    Here are two articles one by time mag and the other by Newsweek. in them they often mention scientists and other "experts" in the same mannor that they do today I must repeat.

Not to mention I never claimed the sky is falling claims made in the 70's were made by peer reviewed papers and reports. Not to mention some of todays GW scientific papers are also failing to pass "peer review"

http://www.newsweek.com/id/72481?tid=relatedcl

http://neoconexpress.blogspot.com/20...ceage-in.html#

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo55 View Post

Not to mention I never claimed the sky is falling claims made in the 70's were made by peer reviewed papers and reports.
    I know. I just want to make sure you understand that those 1970s predictions of a coming ice age did not have widespread support in the scientific community of the time. AGW does have widespread support in the scientific community now.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

No Worries

Global Warming and the Price of a Gallon of Gas
    by John Coleman

(an excerpt...)

http://www.kusi.com/weather/colemans.../19842304.html

There is no significant man made global warming. There has not been any in the past, there is none now and there is no reason to fear any in the future. The climate of Earth is changing. It has always changed. But mankind’s activities have not overwhelmed or significantly modified the natural forces.

Through all history, Earth has shifted between two basic climate regimes: ice ages and what paleoclimatologists call “Interglacial periods”. For the past 10 thousand years the Earth has been in an interglacial period. That might well be called nature’s global warming because what happens during an interglacial period is the Earth warms up, the glaciers melt and life flourishes. Clearly from our point of view, an interglacial period is greatly preferred to the deadly rigors of an ice age. Mr. Gore and his crowd would have us believe that the activities of man have overwhelmed nature during this interglacial period and are producing an unprecedented, out of control warming.

Well, it is simply not happening. Worldwide there was a significant natural warming trend in the 1980’s and 1990’s as a Solar cycle peaked with lots of sunspots and solar flares. That ended in 1998 and now the Sun has gone quiet with fewer and fewer Sun spots, and the global temperatures have gone into decline. Earth has cooled for almost ten straight years. So, I ask Al Gore, where’s the global warming?
    Carbon dioxide does not cause significant global warming.

Here is the deal about CO2, carbon dioxide. It is a natural component of our atmosphere. It has been there since time began. It is absorbed and emitted by the oceans. It is used by every living plant to trigger photosynthesis. Nothing would be green without it. And we humans; we create it. Every time we breathe out, we emit carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. It is not a pollutant. It is not smog. It is a naturally occurring invisible gas.

[A one foot square cube]...contains 100,000 molecules of atmosphere. Of those 100,000 only 38 are CO2; 38 out of a hundred thousand. That makes it a trace component. Let me ask a key question: how can this tiny trace upset the entire balance of the climate of Earth? It can’t. That’s all there is to it; it can’t.

Banned
    The sun.... last refuge of global warming denialists.....

Tired of refuting it. It's only been done now about 20 times between these few GW threads.

Not gonna last for much longer anyways before you'll have to move on to something else.
    Last edited by wilbur; 08-29-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    The sun.... last refuge of global warming denialists.....

Tired of refuting it. It's only been done now about 20 times between these few GW threads now.

Not gonna last for much longer anyways before you'll have to move on to something else.
    No srsly u guyz, that massive nuclear fireball in the sky has nothing to do with how warm the earth gets.
    It's totally all the Hummerz and stuff.

And we should totally wrek our economy and immediatly stop burnign all fossil fuelz that make co2's cuz we're the biggest polluters of the earth (besides the earth itself that is, with all those insignificant volcanic gasses, sea vents, methane producing swamps & bogs).

Oh, and nevermidn that developing the means for clean energies are going to rely on CONVENTIONAL factories and fossil fuels. But we shouldnt' drill at home cuz the middle east is so stable and friendly that they will TOTALLY help us out to get off THEIR oil by giving us some at a reasonable price.

de de deee

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aerojarod View Post
    No srsly u guyz, that massive nuclear fireball in the sky has nothing to do with how warm the earth gets.
    It's totally all the Hummerz and stuff.

And we should totally wrek our economy and immediatly stop burnign all fossil fuelz that make co2's cuz we're the biggest polluters of the earth (besides the earth itself that is, with all those insignificant volcanic gasses, sea vents, methane producing swamps & bogs).
    You obviously havent read a word of this thread. Honestly what is with all these no post count newbies coming out of the woodworks in the global warming threads spouting the same crap we've already gone over and refuted?

Whether global warming is real or not has nothing to do with politics. Try reading... its good for you.

Oh, and nevermidn that developing the means for clean energies are going to rely on CONVENTIONAL factories and fossil fuels. But we shouldnt' drill at home cuz the middle east is so stable and friendly that they will TOTALLY help us out to get off THEIR oil by giving us some at a reasonable price.

de de deee
    Whether global warming is real or not has nothing to do with the middle east. Try reading... its good for you.

YEAH!!! Ozone Depletion !!!

Oh wait, what is the topic?

______
    Patrick
    4jacks
    4jacks@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by aerojarod View Post
    Satellite measurements of solar output indicate that irradiance has remained constant for the past few decades. If you want serious people to believe that the Sun is causing global warming then you have to explain why temperatures on Earth have risen while solar irradiance has remained constant. Good luck explaining that.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    You obviously havent read a word of this thread. Honestly what is with all these no post count newbies coming out of the woodworks in the global warming threads spouting the same crap we've already gone over and refuted?

Whether global warming is real or not has nothing to do with politics. Try reading... its good for you.

Whether global warming is real or not has nothing to do with the middle east. Try reading... its good for you.
    Typical: Dismiss my claims as already refuted and resort to insults. Nice sandbox you have here.

Try connecting the dots between supposed science, politics, and business sometime.. YOU might like it.

I agree with you; whether GW is happening or not should be a purely scientific issue.
    Unfortunately though, whether it is Anthropogenic man-made or not, and what to do in response has EVERYTHING to do with politics.

If you've read anything Czech president Klaus has had to say on the issue you should concede that left leaning politicians have essentially tripped over themselves to call and end to the AGW debate and declare a supposed "consensus" on the matter.

Their motivations for doing so are suspect, and in my opinion it's all fear mongering for the purpose of a massive power grab and socialization of industry and world economies through regulation.
    Not to defend fear mongering in any form, but at least the neo-cons had difinitive proof in the Sept 11 attacks that Islamic Fundementalism was a real threat that needed immediate action.

All the warmists have to go on is naturally fluctuating climate patterns. Al Gore grossly exaggerated his claims in Inconvenient Truth. The IPCC has revised their figures several times since Gore's alarmist propaganda came out. In Great Britain, their courts of law have deemed similar films unscientific in their claims. The science is not settled. And if and when it is, I doubt we'll find that GW is as big a problem as we think.

I'm all for protecting the environment, reducing fossil fuel dependence, and a HUGE supporter of biofuels.
    But what I am not is a naive alarmist, and I will NOT be thrown into a panic over a gradual, natural, subtle change in climate.

The polar bears will be here long after we're gone I suspect.

Let's not get carried away.