Thread: Judge Orders 'Expedited Appeal' of Obamacare for the Good of the Nation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Judge Orders 'Expedited Appeal' of Obamacare for the Good of the Nation 
    Judge Orders 'Expedited Appeal' of Obamacare for the Good of the Nation
    Friday, March 04, 2011
    By Susan Jones

John Boehner, House health care bill

House Minority Leader John Boehner appears with a copy of the Democrats’ version of the health care bill during a news conference on Capitol Hill on Thursday, Oct. 29, 2009. (AP Photo/Harry Hamburg)

(CNSNews.com) - A federal judge in Florida, clearly annoyed by the Justice Department's request for "clarification" of his ruling that the new health care law is unconstitutional, on Thursday granted a stay of his February ruling -- but only if the government files an appeal seeking an expedited review of that ruling, either in the Court of Appeals or with the Supreme Court, within 7 days.

Judge Roger Vinson noted that the Obama administration has had more than a month to file an appeal and has not yet done so. "It should not be at all difficult or challenging to 'fast-track' this case," he wrote in his clarification.

"It is very important to everyone in this country that this case move forward as soon as practically possible."

In clarifying his order, Judge Vinson noted that he declared the health care law's individual mandate unconstitutional -- and because the individual mandate provision cannot be separated from the rest of the law, "the entire legislation was void."

"This declaratory judgment was expected to be treated as the 'practical' and 'functional equivalent of an injunction,'" Vinson wrote in Thursday's clarification. But instead, he added, the Obama administration ignored the order and continued implementing the law.

CNS News

Fabulous Poster
    Time for Single Payer. Before this is over, we will have it and the Republicans will take credit for it. I can live with that.

Perhaps the legal experts can explain why this judge's opinion trumps other court opinions upholding the law. I am not being sarcastic, I really don't know the dynamics on this particular issue.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Perhaps the legal experts can explain why this judge's opinion trumps other court opinions upholding the law. I am not being sarcastic, I really don't know the dynamics on this particular issue.
    I don't know either. However, it is really stupid for the administration to keep kicking the can down the road when everyone knows that it will eventually wind up in the S.C. I assume they will try this tactic as long as possible knowing that there is a 50/50 chance that it will be overruled.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I don't know either. However, it is really stupid for the administration to keep kicking the can down the road when everyone knows that it will eventually wind up in the S.C. I assume they will try this tactic as long as possible knowing that there is a 50/50 chance that it will be overruled.
    I guess the magic Negro is stalling it until Clarence Thomas is either recused or removed.

Fabulous Poster
    Damned activist judges.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Time for Single Payer. Before this is over, we will have it and the Republicans will take credit for it. I can live with that.
    Tell you what: You got Britain for a couple of years and let us know how you like the NHS before you start talking about single payer.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I haven't seen any that uphold the law. The judge found the purchase mandate to be unconstitutional, and not severable from the rest of the law.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Can we please ban this asshole the next time he brings up this single payer bullshit?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    The administration knows that a bureaucracy once in place in next to impossible to disassemble. They will stall as long as possible in their attempts to allow the bureaucracy to be assembled and people to become dependent upon it.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Tell you what: You got Britain for a couple of years and let us know how you like the NHS before you start talking about single payer.
    NHS and Single Payer aren't the same thing. How many times do you need to be told this? You are on NHS, I want to give you options.