Hybrid View

1. #1 DUmmies trash McCain, all POWs, many KIA/MIAs 
    LINK

DemoTex (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-29-08 12:34 AM
    Original message
    I flew over 250 combat missions and I was never shot down.
    I was smart. I avoided SAMs. I flew in zones just as dangerous as Route Pack-6 (Hanoi). I flew Steel Tiger and Barrel Roll in Laos and Route Pack-1 in southern N. Viet Nam. Tough fucking stuff!

I was unarmed and scared shit-less. But I was never a POW. Know what I mean, Vern?
    MercutioATC (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-29-08 12:35 AM
    Response to Original message
    1. Tip of the hat to one of our COMPETENT pilots...
    Olney Blue (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-29-08 01:13 AM
    29. Thank God we had some competent pilots who avoided capture.
    The message being: If you were shot down and died or were captured, then fuck you 'cause you must not have been a good enough soldier. :mad:
    “When the doctor is out, I’m in.”

But I thought libtards like them kept talking about how they support the troops?

Quote Originally Posted by DemoTex
    (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-29-08 12:34 AM
    Original message
    I was smart. I avoided SAMs. I flew in zones just as dangerous as Route Pack-6 (Hanoi). I flew Steel Tiger and Barrel Roll in Laos and Route Pack-1 in southern N. Viet Nam. Tough fucking stuff!

I was unarmed and scared shit-less. But I was never a POW. Know what I mean, Vern?

Sorry, civilian here, but isn't this kind of contradictory?

Demo Tex is another armchair pilot. I would bet he has never piloted a plane. Maybe on a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDER View Post
    Demo Tex is another armchair pilot. I would bet he has never piloted a plane. Maybe on a video game.
    I tend to agree. I'm all for giving someone the benefit of the doubt, but no one who has been in combat, as a pilot or otherwise, would say such a thing.

On edit: Interesting exchange here..

caraher (460 posts) Thu Aug-28-08 09:30 PM
    39. Thanks for putting your ass on the line
    But... as far as I can tell a total of 3 Neptunes were lost on combat missions in the entire Vietnam war vs. 257 A-4s. Totally different mission - there's no way to "avoid SAMs" and hit your assigned target "Downtown." Your duty was hazardous, no question, but any fair look at the numbers shows that the fighter and attack missions were far more dangerous.

I'm not saying McCain was a good pilot - he lost at least 3 planes in flight outside combat. I've even seen his supporters point out that he admits that he was no great aviator. Still, I've yet to read a detailed account of his shootdown. This is the nearest thing I've found online. And even the best of pilots lost planes in Vietnam. Disgraced ace Randy Cunningham never made it back to his carrier after scoring kill #5 thanks to a SAM. He grew up to be a corrupt Republican congressman, but few question his fighter pilot cred.

A lot of pilots spent years at the Hanoi Hilton because they were not up to the job... But simply because a pilot was shot down does not prove he was grossly incompetent. Just as it does not follow that getting shot down makes one a hero...

Here's an amazing story that says a lot more about what kind of man McCain is than whether or not he flew "smart..." This says a lot more about why he should not be president...
    DemoTex (1000+ posts) Thu Aug-28-08 09:45 PM
    Response to Reply #39
    48. The US Army flew 7 P-2s, and the USAF flew about 3 P-2s over Viet Nam.
    It took guts to fly our mission. Period. Three were shot down. That is 30%. Not good!
    Last edited by KingOfTorts; 08-29-2008 at 04:52 PM.

I don't think this counts.
    Last edited by Rebel Yell; 08-29-2008 at 05:00 PM.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YupItsMe View Post
    Sorry, civilian here, but isn't this kind of contradictory?
    Asshole was probably flying supplies to the North Vietnamese.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

What DemoText meant was
    DemoTex (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-29-08 12:34 AM
    Original message

Then my wife called me to dinner so I had to put the joy stick away and turn off my computer. Know what I mean, Vern?
    They don't call him demo for nothing.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis