Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 "Hymenoplasty :the ultimate gift for the man who has everything." 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    For her 17th wedding anniversary, Jeanette Yarborough wanted to do something special for her husband. In addition to planning a hotel getaway for the weekend, Ms. Yarborough paid a surgeon $5,000 to reattach her hymen, making her appear to be a virgin again.

"It's the ultimate gift for the man who has everything,"
    says Ms. Yarborough, 40 years old, a medical assistant from San Antonio.

Hymenoplasty, a controversial medical procedure known mostly for its prevalence in the Middle East and Latin America, is becoming popular in the U.S. Although there are no hard data, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons ...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1134...me_page_one_us
    Last edited by megimoo; 03-04-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Feels like the first time....:eek::p
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Feels like the first time....:eek::p
    You can move all the skin you want its still going to fell like the who-ha you been doing for 17 years.:eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    You can move all the skin you want its still going to fell like the who-ha you been doing for 17 years.:eek:
    Yep! A new garage door won't change the whole garage.:(
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I'm sure there are a lot of gals out there who metaphorically flipped the switch and revealed a commodious 2 car garage during the Big Moment. I wasn't one of those gals. While I didn't have a scary or miserable time of it (as some women do), it wasn't a peak experience, either.

I can't imagine what the appeal of this would be outside of Muslim cultures. Even if the woman had additional surgery to replicate the virginal state, why would she want to replicate the virginal discomfort? No man's ego is worth that kind of thing.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I'm sure there are a lot of gals out there who metaphorically flipped the switch and revealed a commodious 2 car garage during the Big Moment. I wasn't one of those gals. While I didn't have a scary or miserable time of it (as some women do), it wasn't a peak experience, either.

I can't imagine what the appeal of this would be outside of Muslim cultures. Even if the woman had additional surgery to replicate the virginal state, why would she want to replicate the virginal discomfort? No man's ego is worth that kind of thing.
    Elasticity is everything ..

Fabulous Poster
    Is there any aspect of women aging that we don't treat like a disease?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Based on personal experience, I'd say, "No".

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Strictly speaking, aging for everyone is a disease.

Disease:
    an impairment of health or a condition of abnormal functioning

Aging is definitely an impairment of health, the "or" between clauses makes the second part of the definition an alternative, so a disease need not be abnormal functionality. Most subscribers of Free Radical Theory see aging as disease that can be cured. If researchers can figure out a way of stopping or absorbing free radical production in cellular mitochondria, they believe they can halt the aging process. The benefits of longevity aside, I'm not sure how I'd feel about living in a world where each death was sudden and unexpected.

I saw something about this on Discovery once.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Strictly speaking, all of the dead-on normal aspects of aging that never get any attention when they happen to men, are the subject endless recrimination and anxiety when they happen to women.

If the majority of your population have certain characteristics, that's the definition of "normal". In the real world, not in academia.