Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 World's sixth mass extinction may be underway 
    And you guessed it! It's YOUR fault.

Mankind may have unleashed the sixth known mass extinction in Earth's history, according to a paper released by the science journal Nature.

Over the past 540 million years, five mega-wipeouts of species have occurred through naturally-induced events.

But the new threat is man-made, inflicted by habitation loss, over-hunting, over-fishing, the spread of germs and viruses and introduced species, and by climate change caused by fossil-fuel greenhouse gases, says the study.

Evidence from fossils suggests that in the "Big Five" extinctions, at least 75 percent of all animal species were destroyed.

Palaeobiologists at the University of California at Berkeley looked at the state of biodiversity today, using the world's mammal species as a barometer.

Until mankind's big expansion some 500 years ago, mammal extinctions were very rare: on average, just two species died out every million years.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110304...20110304055833

I can think of at least 10 mammal species that have gone extinct in the last 10,000 to 50,000 years... So I'm not sure where the hell they got that benchmark from.

Atleast the author of the study admits that it's a pretty weak one.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    what the hell do we expect from University of California at Berkeley. I feel bad for the people of CA having to fund the bullshit that comes from that "University"

I can't think of more than maybe a dozen or 2 species that have gone extinct in the last 500 years as a direct result from humans. HARDLY 75% of all species on the planet

Aside from carrier pigeons, the dodo, and the great auk, I really can't think of any. These people are beyond sad. The other 'mass extinctions' were due to some catastrophic event like the asteroid that hit the earth that led to the extinction of the dinosaurs. Oh, and it isn't like the asteroid hit and the dinosaurs died the next day either. Took a while, you know?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

http://roboconsumer.wordpress.com/20...tinct-mammals/

about 140 in the last 500 years...hardly an amount that warrants a definition of "mass extinction event"

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post

about 140 in the last 500 years...hardly an amount that warrants a definition of "mass extinction event"
    well these events take place over thousands or millions of years , it's not a sudden flash and they're all dead

idk if that means it's because of humans but i'm sure humans play a part. humans are part of nature too so idk why people think that we cannot influence the ecosystem. if moss and algea can change the atmosphere i'm sure humans burning millions and millions of gallons of fossil fuels can have an effect too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    well these events take place over thousands or millions of years , it's not a sudden flash and they're all dead

idk if that means it's because of humans but i'm sure humans play a part. humans are part of nature too so idk why people think that we cannot influence the ecosystem. if moss and algea can change the atmosphere i'm sure humans burning millions and millions of gallons of fossil fuels can have an effect too.
    yea! and carbon-dioxide is a pollutant!!!
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post

They are talking about Mass Extinctions, which are sudden die offs, which they usually attribute to something like a asteroid, they aren't events that happened slowly which evolution would say that the animals could adapt to. They are claiming that the amount of CO2 being dumped into the atmosphere over the last 150 years is enough to acidify the oceans to the point where it'll kill us all.

I never said we haven't had an effect. What I said was that we are NOT causing a Mass Extinction event. 140 different speices in 500 years and I doubt if you go through the list on the site I posted, that half of them were results of direct human involvement like the Dodo or Carrier Pigeon.

wow. a list of RODENTS. I'm supposed to get worked up about this or that RAT becoming extinct??
    Last edited by PoliCon; 03-05-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    wow. a list of RODENTS. I'm supposed to get worked up about this or that RAT becoming extinct??
    hey hey, don't forget the Nesophontes that are on the list now...they are Shrews :eek:

what the hell do we expect from University of California at Berkeley. I feel bad for the people of CA having to fund the bullshit that comes from that "University"

I can't think of more than maybe a dozen or 2 species that have gone extinct in the last 500 years as a direct result from humans. HARDLY 75% of all species on the planet
    lol way to not get it
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.