Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've heard that there are species dying out every day. And no, I don't remember where I've heard that.

It really wouldn't kill us to treat the earth better. I'm not saying to put environmentalism before everything else, but we need to make sure that we have a comfortable home.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    http://roboconsumer.wordpress.com/20...tinct-mammals/

about 140 in the last 500 years...hardly an amount that warrants a definition of "mass extinction event"
    wow. a list of RODENTS. I'm supposed to get worked up about this or that RAT becoming extinct??
    Last edited by PoliCon; 03-05-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    wow. a list of RODENTS. I'm supposed to get worked up about this or that RAT becoming extinct??
    hey hey, don't forget the Nesophontes that are on the list now...they are Shrews :eek:

hey hey, don't forget the Nesophontes that are on the list now...they are Shrews :eek:
    I thought the left was all about evolution - why is it that they constantly ignore one of the key tenants of that theory?

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I thought the left was all about evolution - why is it that they constantly ignore one of the key tenants of that theory?
    idk....extinction happens...but they just want to blame humans for something...it's some stupid guilt complex about not being an animal

idk....extinction happens...but they just want to blame humans for something...it's some stupid guilt complex about not being an animal
    If they feel so guilty about living - they should do the honourable thing then and end their own miserable lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I've heard that there are species dying out every day. And no, I don't remember where I've heard that.

It really wouldn't kill us to treat the earth better. I'm not saying to put environmentalism before everything else, but we need to make sure that we have a comfortable home.
    Liberals expel more carbon dioxide, I don't remember where I read this but no matter since we love the planet and it's our home, liberals should be cut back 43.5 %.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Liberals expel more carbon dioxide, I don't remember where I read this but no matter since we love the planet and it's our home, liberals should be cut back 43.5 %.
    great idea!! all liberals should cut their breathing in 1/2 and it'll solve the worlds CO2 out put "problem":D

Mass extinctions are different from individual extinctions. The reason large numbers of mammals aren't numbered among the casualties of some previous mass extinction events is because mammals didn't exist.

Human beings have directly caused the extinction of some large mammals but megafauna extinction events have proceeded nicely with no help from humans or climate change.

Sometimes animals become too specialized to survive. Their food supply is too narrow, their range is too restricted, or their baby-making ability degrades. Sometimes they can't adapt to predators that develop new ranges or new skills. Sometimes they succumb to genetic bottlenecks.

While I'm all for conservation and stewardship, I think it's laughable to disregard the fact that in the big scheme of things, we are the top predator on this rock. Human beings aren't herbivores. We aren't adapted to fruit-eating. We can eat grain if it's processed but we don't need it. Like carnivores, we only require the right mix of protein and fats to thrive.

The fact that we can be omnivores and aren't too specialized just makes us better predators. Predators with a bit of a social conscience which is more than any other predators here have. ;)